turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thehawker

IRS mailed me saying they need a 1095-a and an 8269. My wife had marketplace insurance last year under her mother and i wasn't aware. How do I go about reconciling this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

IRS mailed me saying they need a 1095-a and an 8269. My wife had marketplace insurance last year under her mother and i wasn't aware. How do I go about reconciling this?

Get the 1095-A  and enter it into your return.

In this case, TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A. You'll enter the information from your parents' 1095-A. The next screen will ask you about your health plan being shared, so check the box.

Then you'll see a screen asking for shared policy information. You enter the following:

•  Enter the social security number in box 5 (recipient's SSN) on your parents' 1095-A
  •  Enter the starting month and ending month that you had the insurance

Now you'll be asked to enter percentages for Your Premium, Second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) and advanced payment.

You should see amounts on your parents’ 1095-A, column A, B, and C. You and your parents should agree on what percentage of those amounts you’ll claim on your return, and what percentage they’ll claim on theirs. You can use anything from zero to 100 percent, as long it all adds up to 100 percent.

Example: Nate is working and not on his parents' tax return. He is on their Marketplace health plan and listed on their 1095-A. He didn't receive a 1095-A in his name.

He and his parents have to figure out how much of column A (monthly enrollment premiums), column B (monthly SLCSP) and column C (advanced payments) on their 1095-A will go on their return and Nate's return. They decided that Nate will enter 10% of those amounts on his return and his parents will enter 90% on their return. They could have decided to have 100% on the parents' return and zero percentage on Nate's return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Get the 1095-A  and enter it into your return.

In this case, TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A. You'll enter the information from your parents' 1095-A. The next screen will ask you about your health plan being shared, so check the box.

Then you'll see a screen asking for shared policy information. You enter the following:

•  Enter the social security number in box 5 (recipient's SSN) on your parents' 1095-A
  •  Enter the starting month and ending month that you had the insurance

Now you'll be asked to enter percentages for Your Premium, Second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) and advanced payment.

You should see amounts on your parents’ 1095-A, column A, B, and C. You and your parents should agree on what percentage of those amounts you’ll claim on your return, and what percentage they’ll claim on theirs. You can use anything from zero to 100 percent, as long it all adds up to 100 percent.

Example: Nate is working and not on his parents' tax return. He is on their Marketplace health plan and listed on their 1095-A. He didn't receive a 1095-A in his name.

He and his parents have to figure out how much of column A (monthly enrollment premiums), column B (monthly SLCSP) and column C (advanced payments) on their 1095-A will go on their return and Nate's return. They decided that Nate will enter 10% of those amounts on his return and his parents will enter 90% on their return. They could have decided to have 100% on the parents' return and zero percentage on Nate's return.

thehawker

I already filed my return and the IRS said not to send them back an amended return but to send them both forms. How would I go about completing the 8269 if I already filed?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You have to go through the motions like you are amending the return once you have e-filed. You just do not send in the 1040x. Just send the 8962 and 1095-A.
thehawker

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. I greatly appreciate it!
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

My pleasure!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies