Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My parents wrongly claimed me as dependent? Tax year 2013

I have the same question.  We (the parents) filed claiming our son as a dependent.  We filed first, not knowing our son's precise income.  Turns out he made just over the threshold to NOT be a dependent.  His return was rejected since ours was already filed, so he changed his to conform to ours...not knowing that the stimulus payment hinged upon that.  Now what do we do?  Do we both file 1040X returns to amend?  Will the IRS catch the mistake (based on his income being too high) and ask us to correct and refile?  My understanding of the 1040X process is that it's entirely paper-based -- no e-file capability -- which takes 8 to 12 weeks to process.  Will stimulus checks still be distributed by that point?  Please help.  Not sure what to do!

@Lucky1InTexas wrote:

I have the same question.  We (the parents) filed claiming our son as a dependent.  We filed first, not knowing our son's precise income.  Turns out he made just over the threshold to NOT be a dependent.  His return was rejected since ours was already filed, so he changed his to conform to ours...not knowing that the stimulus payment hinged upon that.  Now what do we do?  Do we both file 1040X returns to amend?  Will the IRS catch the mistake (based on his income being too high) and ask us to correct and refile?  My understanding of the 1040X process is that it's entirely paper-based -- no e-file capability -- which takes 8 to 12 weeks to process.  Will stimulus checks still be distributed by that point?  Please help.  Not sure what to do!

Yes you must both amend, you to remove the dependent, and him to claim himself.   (Assuming that he is over age 18 and not a full-time student under age 24 - then his income does not matter in most cases.)

Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) to process in normal times but due the the Corona virus shutdown the IRS is not even opening mailed returns at this time and just storing them so the 16 weeks will not even start until the IRS returns to normal - whenever that will be - and there will be a huge backup of mail. 

Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
aj64

ya know, this thread being 4 years old is irrelevant if the data is still correct and current.  Yes, your reply is helpful to folks, but also condescending.  It's very cool and I am thankful for those that both ask the questions and especially those that reply with good quality information.  In short, please leave out the superfluous information.  Your good deed and helpfulness don't get the value they deserve.

Thanks for your help and understanding,

aj

@aj64 wrote:

ya know, this thread being 4 years old is irrelevant if the data is still correct and current.  Yes, your reply is helpful to folks, but also condescending.  It's very cool and I am thankful for those that both ask the questions and especially those that reply with good quality information.  In short, please leave out the superfluous information.  Your good deed and helpfulness don't get the value they deserve.

Thanks for your help and understanding,

aj

The question was asked yesterday an hour before I provided an answer.   Yes, the original thread is old, but that is the nature of this forum - many posters find old questions and add-on with a new question.  

Exactly what is "condescending"?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
TLmaar

I have the same situation my parents claimed me as a dependent Without telling me for 2019 taxes. they have a house that they live in And I have a home that I was living in. I owned my home I paid Cash in full cash for it In Dec, 2018 and sold it in Dec 2019. They Helped me out financially from around June to December Until the house sold while I was still living in it  then I paid them back all the money they loaned  me out  so were they Still able to turn around and claim me as a dependent saying that They paid all my household expenses and  supported me when in reality they got it all back? I know I don’t know if I’m able to collect the stimulus check. I’m 57 years old and waiting for four years for Social Security To get with the program. I’m 75% disabled from work injury w rods and screws in my spine this is a nightmare I don’t even know if I should’ve filed taxes on the sale of the house I lost 15,000 when I sold it. SeemsLike the money from the sale of the house should’ve been considered income so that might’ve been too much for them to claim me as a dependent as well. Any advise?

Maw1970

Im 49 yrs old and someone claimed me as a dependant for 2018 and were'nt suppose to now I cant get a stimulus check, what should I do ?

File your 2019 tax return and do not check the dependent box.

Gmommy52

My daughter's father keeps claiming her without my permission we were never married and I have full sole custody how do I stop this from happening again please. I receive SSI for my child I'm single and struggling he doesn't help as he should

All you can do is paper file the return if it is rejected ... then the IRS will decide who has the right to claim the child and the loser gets to pay back the money they got for the child PLUS penalties PLUS interest ... that will stop him in the end. 

Me and my 29 yr old was claimed as dependents on someone else's taxes when we shouldn't have been. We're not related. He moved out Jan 2020 and left his taxes here. It has me down as his sister and my son down as nephew. And it also stated that he pays all household and rent which isn't true either. He's not on the lease. He paid only his share of the rent to the lease holder, just as me and my son did. I don't know much about taxes, but i was very upset when i saw what was on them because it is false. I didn't know what was on them. When I found out, I texted him and he said he would amend his taxes, but he has done nothing but lie to us. He got fired in Oct 2019 and lost his CDL license and lived with us for free. He was supposed to pay the back rent that he owed to the lease holder but instead he left and moved to ill. I have information and a copy of his tax, but don't know where to send it to. He can't legally claim us. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900655-what-to-do-if-you-suspect-tax-related-identity-theft

Sorry your ex-BF is putting you  through this.   Unfortunately, if he e-filed a tax return claiming you or your son as dependents and the IRS accepted his return, neither you nor your son will be able to e-file your own tax returns this year.  You will have to print, sign and mail your own tax returns that are prepared correctly.  The IRS will process your returns--although mailed returns are taking much longer right now-- and the IRS will sort out the issue of the two of you being claimed fraudulently.

Hope you are able to pursue him for the back rent--unfortunately, TurboTax cannot help in any way with that sort of issue.   Good luck.  Stay safe.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

He wasn't my boyfriend. Me and my family live with my ex, my 8 yr olds dad, but the person who claimed us was just a friend. Me and my son are on SSI. We pay rent / utilities and our bills. He also didnt pay over half of anything for us. I had to go on the IRS website to see who can be claimed as a dependent when I found out what was on there. That's what I mean by i dont know much about taxes. I make over 9000.00 a yr, and my rent and utilities I pay to the person who's name is on the lease. Same as my son. I'm a honest person and don't like being lied about. Even if there was no stimulus I still want this fixed. I've already talked to social security and they also know we pay rent. All my so called friend did was put us in debt. I also have a 8yr old who is my biological son, but i cant claim him because his dad does and most of his tax refund goes to child support to his ex-wife for his daughters who are 19 and 18 who dont even live with her. I called the IRS as soon as i found out what was on his taxes, but couldn't get a hold of anyone because of the virus. I wish they had a fax where people like me could send information right away to fix it. Since I'm not required to file,  that's why im trying to get advice and information what to do or where to send it.

There is no quick fix for this situation ... your only option is to mail in the return to assert your right to claim the child.   The person who claimed them incorrectly should amend their return asap before the IRS sends they a letter with penalties and interest.  As for the stimulus ... if you do not get it this year you can get it on the 2020 tax return you file in 2021. 

Only thing is though,  I'm on SSI. We don't file taxes. After I texted and told him what was on his taxes, he said he would amend, but i dont trust him anymore. All he does is lie to me. It's sad how people who are in jail and deceased have got a stimulus check, but for the ones with family who really need it, don't get it because of someone else's mistake. At least they left our internet on so my 8 yr old could do his e-learning school at home . I'm not sure if school will be open in the fall either. Thanks for replying back. I'll pray that God will help us get through these rough times, and everyone be safe ☺

@BarbL  Someone fraudulently claimed my boyfriend on their taxes and he doesn't even know who. Now he is not able to receive a stimulus check. How does he report that someone is wrongfully claiming him? He does not live with anyone but me and nobody has the right to claim him as a dependent. We have not been able to get anyone on the phone at the IRS. We're pretty much stuck as far as what to do about this. He needs that stimulus check. HELP

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies