turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My NJ SDI is greater then $60 what can I do to fix this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

This can be fixed in the W-2 wages section of the program.

1. Select Federal on the left panel
  2. Select "Wages & Income"
  3. Select Edit next to "Job (W-2)"
  4. Select Edit next to the applicable W-2 form where you had the excess SDI claimed.
  5. Scroll down to Box 14.  This is where you will enter the amount of the taxes withheld, as well as the "Category".  Make sure you select the category to ensure the correct tax is being reported and claimed.

New Jersey state tax input

There are drop down options for each New Jersey tax you may have on your W-2:

• NJ SDI- State Disability Insurance
  • NJ UI (Unemployment insurance)
  • WF (Workforce development partnership fund
  • SWF(Supplemental workforce fund) tax
  • NJ FLI (Family leave insurance tax). 

You will need to "Add another row" to ensure you report all of the respective taxes paid.

The maximum employee contributions for 2019 were:

• UI/WF/SWF $146.20
  • DI $58.48
  • FLI $27.52

Once you break out the New Jersey taxes in Box 14, you should get credit for the excess payments on Form NJ-2450.

Excess NJ Income Taxes

Form 2450 credit for excess NJ taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, I am getting the same annoying message with NJ FLI cannot be greater than 29.  I have 30.33 as the amount. Do  I go forward and file anyway?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Re: Annoying error check message of NJ FLI cannot be greater than 29 - How do i get rid of it

Yes, go forward with filing. No, depending on your circumstances, Form 2450 may not be necessary. You may need to go to your employer for reimbursement, instead, if you only had one employer.

Click the link for more details from page 44 of 2019 New Jersey Resident Return NJ-1040 Tax Booklet

@smond123

I'm also over the $60 threshold and it is showing the correct category. What do I do to correct it? Tried to follow the below instructions but still receiving the error message. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

This issue is being addressed. Please see this webpage and sign up to be notified when this issue is resolved.

Note that some New Jersey forms are not available yet in any case. Please check this page for State Forms Availability.

What instructions are you referring to?

The instructions in the tread. As for the issue, is it a Turbotax, NJ, or employer over charged for SDI?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers were  experiencing one or more of the following error messages when trying to e-file their New Jersey return:

Form W-2: Box 14 amount - New Jersey UI/WF/SWF cannot be greater than $148

Form W-2: Box 14 amount - New Jersey FLI cannot be greater than $29

Form W-2: Box 14 amount - New Jersey SDI cannot be greater than $60

We are happy to inform you a recent TurboTax update has been released resolving this issue. If you are using TurboTax Online, updates are applied automatically.  If you are using TurboTax Desktop, make sure you download and install the latest update.  If you need assistance with updating, please refer to the following support article.

trippdeez

This thread said the issue was fixed Monday, it's still not letting me file due to UI/HC/WD over 151, my W-2 says 214.68
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

In order to get past this issue, you will have to reallocate a portion of the reported UI/HC/WD amount to "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax" (or "Other - not on list"). This workaround will not affect your tax calculations or your ability to e-file.

Why did this happen? It is lazy W2 prep on your employer's part, but an easy fix on your part. Your employer has likely lumped 2 of the 3 taxes below together on your W2. They are separate taxes with separate maximums, so you need to self-correct when you enter the W2. 

Change the amount  in Box 14, UI/WF/SWF to $148 (instead of the $214.68 shown on your W-2). That will leave a remaining balance of $67.

Allocate the remaining $67 to "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax".

In my case i have PRDIEM reported in Box 14 (other).

This is getting mapped to NJ SDI category in the return, which is raising SDI limit error, which category should we have to choose for PRDIEM of Box 14.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@sunilb Check with your employer to find your what PRDIEM means. Box 14 on Form W-2 in a "catch all" box. Employers can put anything there that doesn't fit into the other boxes.

PRDIEM sounds like a per diem reimbursement. That would not be a deduction. Choose "Other (not classified)" as the category.

Hello -- This issue seems to still be occurring in the 2022 software, but this time with a limit of 214. It is preventing me from e-filing. Can you please provide assistance?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Box 14 under your Federal Wages will need to be reviewed to determine if you paid more than the allowable amount for New Jersey.  To check this in TurboTax, you will follow these steps:

1. Click Wage and Income
  2. Click Edit next to Job (W2)
  3. Click Review next to each employer
  4. Click Continue
  5. Scroll down to box 14, verify information matches what is listed on your W-2

New Jersey's limits for 2022 are as follows:

Each entry for NJ UI/WF/SWF, DI, and FLI should be entered separately under box 14

• UI/WF/SWF — $169.15;
  • DI — $212.66;
  • FLI — $212.66.

You can claim a credit for the excess payments on Form NJ-2450.

Please review the link below for more information on the UI/DI/FLI Credits.

NJ UI/DI/FLI Credits

@dlouzeiro 

@BrittanyS thank you for your reply! If I am not concerned about the refund of the $4 difference, but want to ensure I e-file instead of filing by mail, is there any workaround that doesn't involve incorrectly reporting the number? I would really like to avoid filing by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies