turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My job in 2015 from Clayton homes I was putting in 401k there and also self-employment 401(k) whatever happened to that money and how do I access

Shall withdraw cash out or get a loan on it
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My job in 2015 from Clayton homes I was putting in 401k there and also self-employment 401(k) whatever happened to that money and how do I access

You will have to contact the plan administrators of your 401k.

You should be getting quarterly statements from the 401K plan.

If you take the money out of the retirement account,  the plan will send you a 1099R in late January or early February.   The money you take out will be taxable, and you will need to enter information from the 1099R on your tax return.   The financial institution that has the account will withhold at least 20% for federal tax; you might need to have them withhold state tax too.   The amount of money you get will be entered on your next tax return, along with the amount that they withheld for tax.  Depending on your other income, you might owe more tax, or you might get a refund of some of the tax that was withheld at the time of the distribution.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Oh--and you asked if you should take the money or get a loan from the fund.   That is not a choice for anyone in this forum to make for you.   If you get  loan, the loan is not taxed, but  then you have an amount of time to pay it back or else it becomes a taxable distribution.    Talk to the financial institution to find out how much you have in the account, etc. and how much you can borrow against it if you choose to take a loan on it, and ask them what the repayment requirements will be to avoid taxes.   If you have just been leaving the money in the account for these past several years, you should find out what it worth now and then decide what to do with it.   You could also roll it over into a different retirement account.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

In my experience, you can't get a loan on an employer sponsored 401(k) if you no longer work for the employer that sponsor's the plan. But that's just my experience. When I parted ways with my employer, I had something like 60 days to transfer my 401(k) to either an IRA or another 401(k). If not done in time, then they cut me a check and the entire amount is taxable and if under retirement age, also subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty. At least, that's how the plan I was in, worked.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies