Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anniexie
Returning Member

my father passed away. Can TurboTax help me find his past tax records without alerting IRS's attention

My father passed away. Can TurboTax help me find his past tax records without alerting IRS's attention

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

my father passed away. Can TurboTax help me find his past tax records without alerting IRS's attention

So sorry for your loss.  If you do not have your dad's account and user ID you will not be able to access his tax records on the site.   First----did he use online or did he use the CD/download?   if he used the CD/download the tax returns are only stored on his own hard drive.  They are not stored online.

If he used an online TT account, you have a lot of information to provide to TurboTax to gain access to his account.  Here is a copy of information provided to a user in a simiilar situation:

Filing for relative who died

Hello @, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I understand that this may seem like a lot to get into an account but we must take all due precaution to ensure the protection, privacy, and security of customer account information. We wish to make sure that the data your sister-in-law entrusted us with is protected. 
You will first need to fill out an Email Change Request: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899319 
In addition to your own photo ID, you must include one of the following documents: 

• A copy of the Death Certificate – The name of the surviving spouse will need to be matched to a Joint E-filed Return in our system
  • A court order issuing Power of Attorney for the deceased and IRS form 56(required for non spouse)
  • A court order marking them the executor of the estate and IRS form 56(required for non spouse)

These additional documents may be included with the initial scan of the Photo ID.
You will also need to print and mail the return and include IRS Form 56. 
I hope this helps! 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
anniexie
Returning Member

Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that I already confirmed that my dad didn't file with TurboTax online at all. His paper records only have tax filing up to 2012 ( he passed away in June, 2020). Not sure whether he even filed tax return after 2012. I know IRS has records. But I would hate to alert their auditing. I'm trying to find some other ways to confirm when was was his last year that he filed tax.

Sorry.   There is nothing you can do using TurboTax for this.   If you are avoiding the IRS not sure what to tell you.  Are you worried that your father owed back taxes and did not file or pay?   Eventually his estate has to be settled and you will have to find out.  

Do you know how much income he had or where it was coming from?   It is possible he did not have a filing requirement if he was on Social Security  or SS + a small amount of other income.

You need to file a federal return if half your Social Security plus your other income is $25,000 when filing single or head of household, or $32,000 when filing married filing jointly, $0 if you are filing married filing separately.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

you may want to talk to a lawyer. an executor can become personally liable if they settle an estate knowing that there are unpaid income taxes. 

IRS is not going to audit you if you ask for a transcript.

Start with year 2018 or 2019

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies