Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child is homeless and i provide money for food, clothing, etc. he has no income. cam that be considered support?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My child is homeless and i provide money for food, clothing, etc. he has no income. cam that be considered support?

Whom can I claim as a dependent?

You can only claim a dependent who satisfies the IRS’s guidelines for qualification. This section will go into those tests and explain who qualifies and who doesn’t.

But this is only the first step. After determining whom you can claim as a dependent, another series of tests must be applied to determine what credits and deductions you’re eligible for because of the dependent.

Claiming a qualifying child as a dependent

There are potentially higher tax credits for claiming a dependent child than there are for claiming other types of dependents, such as an elderly parent.

The dependent child must satisfy the IRS’s following tests:

• Relationship: They were “your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.”
  • Age: They were “under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly)”; or “under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly)”; or “any age if permanently and totally disabled.”
  • Residence: They “must have lived with you for more than half of the year,” with exceptions for temporary absences (including kidnapping), children of parents who live separately, or children who were born or died during the year.
  • Support: You must have provided more than half of the child’s support during the year.
  • Child’s filing status: If the child earned any income that year, he or she has to file tax return. You can’t claim a child as a dependent if he or she is married and files a joint return unless they’re claiming a tax refund.

Claiming a qualifying relative as a dependent

Qualifying dependent relatives include anyone who satisfies a separate set of guidelines from the IRS.

Note that the key difference between this type of dependent and the qualifying child dependent is that this dependent may not have to have lived with you most of the year. For example, a child can be a qualifying relative to you, even if they’re not a qualifying child, if he or she lives apart from you.

The IRS’s guidelines for qualification are as follows:

• Relationship: Neither you nor anyone else is claiming him or her as a qualifying child dependent.
  • Income: They earned a gross income of less than $4,300, for tax year 2021, which you'll report on your 2022 tax returns. (For tax year 2022, the dependent income limit to qualify will increase to $4,400.) There are some exceptions for dependents who have a disability.
  • Support: You must have provided more than half of their support during the year, unless you have a multiple-support agreement for the dependent with another person, or the dependent is a child of divorced or separated parents, or is a victim of kidnapping.
  • Filing status: If he or she is married and files jointly, you can’t claim him or her as a dependent.
  • Legality: Your relationship to the dependent doesn’t violate local law.

Additionally, the dependent must have lived with you for the entire year (with some exceptions) unless he or she falls into one of the following categories, which are considered “relatives who don’t have to live with you” while receiving your support:

• Your child, stepchild, foster child, or grandchild, including adopted children;
  • Your sibling, including half siblings and stepsiblings;
  • Your parent, including step parents but not foster parents;
  • You grandparent or other “direct ancestor” (like a great-grandparent);
  • Your niece or nephew, including those of your half siblings;
  • Your aunt or uncle;
  • Your in-laws.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. My child is homeless and I provide money for food, clothing, etc. he has no income. Can that be considered support?

A.  Yes.  But then you need to determine, if what you provided was more than half his support for the year. 

The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

Per the other reply, there are additional rules to determine if you can  claim him as a dependent.  Since he is closely related, he did not have to live with you, at any time during the year, to be an Other (qualifying Relative) dependent.  He cannot, most likely, be a "qualifying Child" dependent, because he did not live with you for more than half the year.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and Other ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit and student status test, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. The Other dependent (qualifying relative) credit is worth (up to) $500 per dependent and is non-refundable.  That is, it can only be used to reduce an actual tax liability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies