Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Alabama return needs to be filed by mail, but when I download it, there's a watermark saying "Do not mail"

I've read that this means that the state hasn't approved the form for mailing purposes, but it seems awfully late in tax season for that to still be true. Does anyone know a solution or have additional insight?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

My Alabama return needs to be filed by mail, but when I download it, there's a watermark saying "Do not mail"

Is there a reason that you must mail the return? Are you sure that the return has not been efiled and that the copy that you have is your printed copy of the filed return?

Yes, there is a reason the return must be mailed. This is the tax return for my 94-year-old mother-in-law. She does not have a drivers license or other form of ID, which is required if the Alabama return is to be e-filed, meaning that paper is the only option. When I was completing the form, I initially tried to e-File, but TurboTax had me change it to paper for the state return. (I was able to e-File the federal return without trouble.)

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see these Turbo Tax help articles.
Why can't I print out my forms?

Why does DO NOT FILE, FORM NOT FINAL appear on my printouts? This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide a solution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, but sad to say, it is not the answer. The exact message on the watermark is "Do not mail. E-file only," even though I need to mail it, and TurboTax says it's ready to mail. According to the FAQ, all the necessary forms are available for printing. 

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@jokarains-gmail- 

I did that yesterday. They sent me the link that shows that the Alabama forms are good to go and told me to try again today or tomorrow. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

When I sign into TurboTax, I'm greeted with a screen that shows that the Federal return was accepted and that the State return is ready to mail. But when I click Download Return, I get that watermark for the state return. I wonder if it's somehow remembering an earlier version of the file. I also see that the state is dated 2/15. I wonder if I need to do something to make the date later.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 3.01.34 PM.png

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax help article. 

Why can't I print out my forms?

Thank you. As I noted yesterday when you posted the same link, that isn't the problem. I am able to download and print the return. The help article talks about a watermark saying that the form isn't final. In my case, the watermark says "Do not mail. E-file only." However, I'm not able to e-file because my mother-in-law (it's her tax return) doesn't have a drivers license or state-issued ID. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you.  

Some states require you to provide that information in order to e-file. If you live in a state that requires ID, you will need to wait until your ID is issued or replaced.

Why are you asking for my driver's license or state ID?

For additional help please contact support, This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent.  

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily.

JesGil

Hello!

I am having this same sort of issue.  I filed our Alabama taxes and it said I need to mail them.  But then when I go to print them, it has the watermark with the e file message.  I called turbo tax and I was on the phone with them for well over an hour.  After trying to resolve my issue, they said the files were not ready yet.  This was back in early February.  Have you had you issue resolved yet?  I'm beginning to get a little frustrated.  This is the first year that I have had an issue with Turbo Tax.

Thank you!

Yes, I finally did after several calls to support. At this point, I don't remember exactly how it worked, but it was something like this:

1. When you sign in, you'll be on a page showing the status of the Federal and State returns. The state return probably says Ready to File or something like that.

2. Scroll way down on that page to where it says "Your tax return & documents."

3. This is where my memory is fuzzy, and you may have to call them again. They had me click on something on the right side of the page that let me try to file it again. Unfortunately, I can't remember what link I clicked, but it let me try to e-file. Again it said I had to file by mail, but whatever I did somehow reset the date from 2/15 to 3/2, and when I printed the return, the watermark was gone.

Sorry I can't remember all the details, but I hope that's enough that support can get you to the right place.

Jamie44

Thank you so much for posting this. I had the same issue with the "do not mail" watermark.  I had already tried to send mine and it got rejected so I had to mail in. I was able to go in and make some changes to the forms (which I didn't know was possible) and selected "print" before I submitted again--just in case. 🙂 I was so glad to see this exact question and really appreciate you sharing what helped you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies