The message DO NOT FILE or DO NOT FILE, FORM NOT FINAL will appear on your printout if:
- The print version of the tax form hasn't yet been finalized in TurboTax.
- Your federal return was printed before e-filing.
- Your state return was printed before your federal return was accepted by the IRS.
- The form is available but you haven't downloaded the latest update.
Try This First
Start by checking if the print version of that form is available.
- IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products
- State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products
- IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Business
- State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Business
It isn't unusual for a form to be e-fileable but not yet ready for printing and mailing, especially state forms. Oftentimes, bar codes and other special formatting on the paper version takes longer to be approved by the state agency.
Don't worry about the DO NOT FILE message if you already e-filed and you're just printing copies for your records. We don't let you e-file a return with non-final forms. If the DO NOT FILE watermark on your copy bothers you, you can re-print once the paper version of the form has been finalized.