turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmurgriz

My 1099-misc only has information in box 7. when i go to file I am getting an error that I am not reporting that income in all areas. Where else do I need to report 1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaR

My 1099-misc only has information in box 7. when i go to file I am getting an error that I am not reporting that income in all areas. Where else do I need to report 1099?

A 1099-MISC with the amount in Box 7 is considered self-employment income.  If payment for services you provided is listed in box 7 of Form 1099-MISC, the payer is treating you as a self-employed worker, also referred to as an independent contractor.

For more information/other situations, review this article: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/faqs/interest-dividends-other-types-of-income/1099-misc-independent-contractors-...>

If this is not self-employed income, please comment and I will assist further.

Your question is very common - sorry for the confusion. 

Information from Form 1099-MISC can be entered in 2 different locations, depending on your situation:

• Self-Employment - when the income relates to your normal job or something you do regularly. This income will end up on a Sch C, subject self-employment tax and expenses can be entered to reduce the taxable amount. 
  • Other Common Income - something you did only once - and not related to your normal job and don't plan on doing this type of work in the future. 

If the second example sounds like you - enter this information in Turbo Tax as follows: Go to Federal Taxes - then click on Wages & Income, next look for the section: Other Common Income, then click on Start to the right of "Form 1099-MISC."

I hope this helped you. Thank you for using Turbo Tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies