turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Yemi1
Returning Member

Moving Expenses Deduction

I have moved so many times and I could not deduct my moving expenses from my previous tax returns.

I planned to relocate this year to another state and will appreciate it if you can educate me on how to deduct moving expenses from my next tax returns.

Thank you.

Yemi1

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025, moving expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return except for military personnel on Permanent Change of Station orders.

Nick-K-EA
Expert Alumni

Federal tax changes in 2017 have taken away the federal deduction for moving expenses for all but military personnel moving on orders. If you are moving to Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, or Pennsylvania, you can take a state deduction if you meet their particular qualifications. For other states, there is no deduction at all.

Nick K, EA
Willy61

After 40 years of renting, I finally bought a home in a different state and moved, only to find out that as of 2018 you can no longer deduct moving expenses on your Federal Tax Return unless you are active military, which I am not. But I DID move to Arkansas which you stated in the previous answer, provides for moving expense deductions on a state level. Can you provide more information on exactly what those qualifications are and when they can be deducted? Thank you.

Caseygirl5
Returning Member

Can't you also take the State deduction if moving to Florida

@Caseygirl5 wrote:

Can't you also take the State deduction if moving to Florida

Florida does not have a personal income tax so there is not a state income tax return to file.

Nick-K-EA
Expert Alumni

There is no state deduction in Florida, because there's no state income tax. The following states permit a deduction or exclusion for moving expenses: Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania.

Nick K, EA
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies