Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mac turbotax crashing after "please wait while we verify everything is up to date" - can't finish filing!

I have researched this problem enough to know it is already known and I don't think a solution is available.  

I was wrapping up my filing and had to update something about the state files.  Then my system started persistently crashing.  Always after showing a popup window "please wait while we verify everything is up to date".

I found advice saying uninstall and reinstall.  I have done this several times, each time finding something else in the ~/Library files that needs to be deleted.  I have given up.  

If someone has something else for me to try on my Mac, fine...I will try it.  Otherwise, how do I quit messing with the MAC version and get the download for the PC version without paying for it again?

Thank you!!!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Alex70

Mac turbotax crashing after "please wait while we verify everything is up to date" - can't finish filing!

I have the same issue and turbo support is no help at all. 

Had (and still have) the same problem, and same lack of response from Intuit. Just got email selling the 2020 version. I assume it won't be read by a human, but I replied saying I need a guarantee that 2020's version will work, and a refund for the 2019 version would be nice, too.  Anybody there, Intuit?

@macuser_22   Can you help? 

@Khammerstrand wrote:

Had (and still have) the same problem, and same lack of response from Intuit. Just got email selling the 2020 version. I assume it won't be read by a human, but I replied saying I need a guarantee that 2020's version will work, and a refund for the 2019 version would be nice, too.  Anybody there, Intuit?

Exactly what happens?   What are you trying to do when it crashes?  Is it a real crash with a crash report or just a "hang"?

What version of Mac OS are you running?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Catalina 10.15.7

I try to open TT, the "Please wait while we verify everything is up to date" message displays briefly, almost too briefly to read, and TT never opens.  

When I bought TT 2019 I was initially able to load it and complete my fed return. I believe I did an OS update after that and after the update the above started happening. I reloaded the software (I have the CD)  but same symptoms.

I've used TT for many years, always Mac, never a problem, but I am hesitant to buy it again this year since Intuit did not address this problem that it seemed like many Mac users had. 

Thanks for any advice.

I can't say if 10.15.7 introduced a new problem because I am on 10.14 and never upgrade until all the bugs are worked out.

I can only suggest:

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2019 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac
Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Just download TT Premier 2020 and the same thing happened on 1st launch!!

there have been multiple posts about problems installing TT 2020 on a windows 10 computer. it will not install on windows 7 or earlier.  no clear indication if this is a TT or windows issue. 

see if this link helps 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-installing-and-running-turbotax-... 

if not you'll need to contact TT support. 

Update—got 2020 Mac version running fine after deleting the preference file from the Library

rec567PS

Your solution worked perfectly--THANKS!  I had tried to install/uninstall/re-install about a half dozen times, and was ready to give up until I found your solution.  I never had problems with TurboTax software when I used to file on a PC, but the Mac versions seems to have glitches that I can't believe TurboTax can't fix.  But, I have it working now and will cross my fingers that other problems don't crop up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can vouch for this solution from @macuser_22 that is NOT documented by Inuit. Many folks on here have the 2019 version. I have TT 2020 Mac Home & Biz and it crashed on every single application boot-up no matter how many of the core files and preferences I deleted; this started after it crashed mid-stream entering some deductions.  This was not related to e-filing or state for me.

It wasn't until I removed this file that it was able to restart and update itself properly (in addition to all the files in Intuit's documentation about removal/re-install):

• Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

Thanks @macuser_22 ; this is a life-saver.  Literally could not do anything without this solution.

@intuit fix your documentation on removal/re-installation.  This is ridiculous.  

Same issue......spent an hour on the phone with Intuit....no help whatsoever. I think it might be time to switch to another tax software program.

@DaNuttyTeacher wrote:

Same issue......spent an hour on the phone with Intuit....no help whatsoever. I think it might be time to switch to another tax software program.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2020 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies