turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mac OS Version for TurboTax 2021

But H&R Block will continue to support OS versions earlier than TurboTax and will gladly grab as much of their business as possible. Good for them.

All you can do is vote with your wallet. Companies can deal with the loss of revenue and address it, or continue on. Personally I don't think TT gives a rip if they lose Mac customers to H&R.

H&R Block only supports  it for one more year than TT does so all you are doing it delaying the inevitable. 

I understand, but that's not the point. TT doesn't support it now while a competitor does. No one is going to hold onto their computer forever, but pissing off a lot of current customers by failing to offer the product for their OS is not likely to get those customers back once they go to the competitor who has a history of having a great product and is less likely to abandon them with requiring new hardware purchases more often. As it's already been shown here, and as I know from personal experience, it's not difficult to use the current Mac development tools to use the same software code for the current OS to create a version for an earlier OS. Many developers do that routinely.

It may be a business decision, but it's clearly pissing off a lot of Mac customers who are going to H&R and unlikely to return even if they upgrade their machines and OS. Intuit didn't support the Mac users very well for Quicken, and they left Quicken in droves for alternative options and never came back. Intuit killed their own market for Quicken Mac. However, the new owner is doing quite well and has a strong following because they actually try to support the Mac customers.

@jimreese44 wrote:

it's not difficult to use the current Mac development tools to use the same software code for the current OS to create a version for an earlier OS. Many developers do that routinely.

No. They cannot.  The *current developer tools* only support 10.14 and later.   Older developer tools can do that but they will not support the latest features and will not receive Apple support if there are problems.    Also the software cannot be sold in the Apple store. 

TurboTax choose to go with Apple support and the current tools.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

This claim sounds familiar... the response to it (which was never answered) was:

That's good to know, but where did you find that information? The current system requirement is 10.13 (https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/support/software/technical-issues-software/software-system-requir...). Did your source mention what the jump will be? If it's only one version, then I'm good for another year (I'm on 10.14) 😀. In any event, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

10.13 is four versions old.

So, again, where does this "one version" information come from?

There are many pieces of Mac software that run under MacOS 10.6 - 12. It's not hard. It's not a technical issue. I've done it. So it's not that they "cannot" it's "they choose not to".

annieb98
Returning Member

I'm getting an error trying to e-file on MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7.  When will this version have e-file capability? 

@annieb98 wrote:

I'm getting an error trying to e-file on MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7.  When will this version have e-file capability? 

It does have it.  What is the error?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
annieb98
Returning Member

Looks like we have a technical hiccup.  Intuit is having difficulty recognizing data in the return.  Turbotax is not ready to process tax year 2021 for this return.

I just installed updates today before finishing the returns, checking, paying for the state efile, etc, so the software should be updated.

annieb98
Returning Member

Additional information on

the MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 e-file error:  I just went back and filed only the federal taxes and that was successful.  Looks like the error is related specifically to trying to file a North Carolina state return.  

I had the same problem. I just kept submitting my returns, and eventually they went through. I think it's a transient problem at TurboTax's end.

eganders

As others have said, Turbotax not supporting OSX 10.14 is a real problem.  Many 32 bit programs and drivers will not work on 10.14.  In my case, my Brother printer drivers will not work.  Turbotax is going to cost me the price of Turbotax 2021 and $500 for a new printer.  

I have held off upgrading my OSX 10.14 to 10.15 which is 64 bits.

If anyone has a solution that does not cost $500, let me know

@eganders wrote:

As others have said, Turbotax not supporting OSX 10.14 is a real problem.  Many 32 bit programs and drivers will not work on 10.14.  In my case, my Brother printer drivers will not work.  Turbotax is going to cost me the price of Turbotax 2021 and $500 for a new printer.  

I have held off upgrading my OSX 10.14 to 10.15 which is 64 bits.

If anyone has a solution that does not cost $500, let me know

TurboTax does not support 10.14 because Apple no longer supports it and the current Apple developer tools only support 10.15 and later.   TurboTax made the management decision many years ago to not support systems when that system is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

You keep giving the same answer, which I have responded to twice. People can scroll up to see it if they want. The summary is "Baloney". There is no technical reason for not supporting older MacOS versions. They choose to not support it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies