Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mac OS Version for TurboTax 2021

There's another option to upgrade unsupported Macs to Catalina, which will allow you to run TurboTax. I upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro this way and it is running very solid on Catalina. Next will upgrade my 2009 Mac Pro to Catalina. I previously upgraded my MacBook Pro to Big Sur using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher but performance was slow. I'm sure the Mac Pro would have handled it better and that may still be an option.

In any case, this is a reputable upgrade and known issues are published. It will allow you to continue using TurboTax and kick the upgrade can another year or two down the road. You should note, however, for the Catalina upgrade, the developer is no longer updating things so any hiccups you encounter will likely not get resolved. I haven't experienced any hiccups in my upgrade, and there is a listing of known issues you can review before upgrading your OS. But this solution is working well for me so far. Good luck.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

TurboTax on MAC is available!  - Updated for TurboTax 2021 (link, click!)

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

I've supported an application that ran from MacOS 10.6 through the current version. It can be done if you really want to (like H&R Block does)

The motivations for Intuit's decision notwithstanding, I'm not going to upgrade a perfectly working system just to use a particular piece of software. MacOS upgrades have been very flaky in recent decades, so I'm in no rush to upgrade (followed by debugging) a functional system.

Hence, I'll be abandoning TurboTax until it becomes advantageous for me to upgrade the MacOS.

H&R block will support that format for one year more only ... next year neither program will support it so you will have to make a decision by then to upgrade or not.  

That's good to know, but where did you find that information? The current system requirement is 10.13 (https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/support/software/technical-issues-software/software-system-requir...). Did your source mention what the jump will be? If it's only one version, then I'm good for another year (I'm on 10.14) 😀. In any event, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks!

TurboTax does not work on Version 10.15.  I'm preparing to return my TurboTax as it will not open on my Mac - OS version Catalina 10.15.7.

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for MAC…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Options you have if you do not want to upgrade your OS :

1) use another company that still does support your old OS

2) use a local  tax  professional

3) use the ONLINE version instead

4)  use the fill in forms on the IRS/state  web sites and mail in the returns

5) buy a cheap windows PC.

My system meets all of the posted requirements.

OS Catalina 10.15.7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Internet speed is AT&T fiber optic 500gb

For the last 2 years I have purchased TT for Mac and WAS NOT ABLE TO USE IT.  I have Monterey 12.1 now and had the latest last year, but no JOY!  TT just would not run.  Interesting fact is that upon installation this year, I was able to run TT and filled some 15 pages with data.  Next time I opened the iMac, no Joy.   TT would flash by and die.  Spent 3 hours on the phone with TT support on 4 occasions, and no solution.  Did the same last year and no solution.  Tried to get refund......Ha!  they gave me more sh.... that I finally quit talking to TT.  Last year I had purchased H & R after TT surrendered, and filed my taxes.  This year I repeated the test, and again TT .......

So again I purchased H & R and it runs like a charm.   Note that I have used TT for some 14 previous years on a iMac........and was content ...... but I am PO'd at TT now.

Next year I will know better.....

Don

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you able to successfully install the software then it won't open after installation?

If so, please see this TurboTax help article: TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed

@mcconnellrebecca

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm pretty sure the install did not complete as it never requested the license key.  I already checked the referenced article anyway and tried those steps.  No luck

If Apple cannot do some checking, an if that is the case, then TT should fix their SW and allow Apple to check it.  Also the special TT code of about 16 digits was entered but still not joy.

TT should read the commentary and fix it and provide refunds, which they sand bag.

DS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies