turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mac keychain password to access turbotax 2022

Just download the 2022 turbotax and I got the below message.

TurboTax 2022 wants to use your confidential
information stored in "Intuit ID
(prdatnresHRieeTUFcJ7VGY6C9CtCtxwUReAY03
6-5)" in your keychain.
To allow this, enter the "login" keychain password.

I do not use keychain.  Appreciate any help or advise what to do.  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

167 Replies

Mac not using Keychain

If you haven't given TurboTax Keychain access, you can select Forgot Password in the password request pop-up to answer your security question. That'll get you back in. Once you're back in, you can select Password Encrypt from the File menu if you want to update or remove your password altogether.

Mac using Keychain

In some rare cases if you've given Keychain access to TurboTax, you can go to Applications > Other > Keychain access > Keychains > Login > Category > Passwords > find Intuit or TurboTax and right-click Get Info > Attributes > Show Password.

You will be prompted for your Mac password and it'll show you the password you used to encrypt your TurboTax file. This is may not work for all users.

Disclaimer

Password protection of TurboTax CD/Download files is set by the user. TurboTax can't assist in unlocking the file or removing the encryption. If these steps don't help, you'll need to start over in a new file.

Today I downloaded TurboTax Home & Business 2022. Installed.  Opened. Pointed to my 2021 file. Went through the process of confirming the data imported from 2021 file. Entered detailed data for a new "business," a rental property.  Clicked Menu>TurboTax>File.

I get the same request to give access to my keychain. The request, of course, clearly asks for my login password.  I enter it. The request is redisplayed.  We can play that game all day.  Finally, I click Deny.  The request is redisplayed.  The third Deny clears the request.

I open Keychain Access.  I find the Intuit ID entry (with the same long character string as is shown in parens in the request).  I open the item and click Show password. Will not accept my login password.

I find this thread. In Keychain Access try entering my Intuit password.  Same.  I try entering my TurboTax 2022 password.  Same.

Returning to TurboTax, I try both passwords there.  Same.

I note that the date of entry of the item in my keychain is last spring.  I try the 2021 TurboTax file password.  Same.

You can understand that I am not yet ready to reinstall TurboTax, enter all that data again, and then--with my fingers crossed--try clicking File again.

This keychain thing is a MAC issue ... maybe you can turn it off but ask MAC support. 

Good Morning (out West here)

I got an e-mail message this morning.

Thanks for the quick reply, Critter-3!

I see that my message was not clear. Here are the events.

I use TurboTax for fifteen years.
Then I purchase TurboTax 2021 for Mac.
I install; start the program; enter data, save the file, close TurboTax; over days, I start, enter, save, close; I finish; print the returns; file.
Time passes. About a year.
I purchase TurboTax 2022 for Mac.
Yesterday, I install.

I start the program; point TurboTax to my 2021 return; follow through the steps to confirm the prior year data.

TurboTax is now at the Business tab.
I add a new business (the rental); enter all the data.
(Of course, I don't have other tax forms yet. And I have always chosen not to import data from my copy of Quicken Premier Instead to have TurboTax get the online forms and then type in from paper any not available to TurboTax online.)
I move the cursor to the Mac menu bar at the top of the screen, place the cursor over File, and click. (My intention is to select Save from the dropdown.   But.  )

I am guessing that TurboTax makes a request to use my keychain.
I am guessing that the message which then pops up is correct.
It says:

TurboTax 2022 wants to use your confidential information
stored in "Intuit ID (prdatnresHR <more chars>
36-5)" in your keychain.

Of course, it is macOS that puts up this message.
What I am guessing is that it does so because TurboTax 2022 wants to use that entry in my keychain.
The message continues:

To allow this, enter the "login" keychain password.

I enter my login keychain password. Not accepted. I am human; that means I sometimes make mistakes; I try several times. Carefully.

Of course, while the message is up, I can't use MenuBar>File>Quit. So I click Deny. The message pops up again. A few Denys and it is gone.

MenuBar>File>Quit pops up the same message once again.
I am not surprised. We are using software.

Finally, I ForceQuit TurboTax
(as you know, Mac equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Del).

I restart TurboTax.

With fifty years experience as a software architect, I am not at all surprised at this:
TurboTax starts with no data. That seems to me like--not only one good design--perhaps the best or only correct design. (As you know by reading this far, I have never saved the rental business data I entered.)

Now, dear reader, please start again at the beginning of this history. When you get here again, you have the complete history up to last night. We'll call your journey through all that again "Part 3." Now continue at 4.

This morning I see the response at the Community website. I read my e-mail.

I write this response.

Here we are. What's next?

-------------
-------------

This is a note with further details, for those who want to help.

a. There is no doubt that I enter the correct "login" keychain password to the Keychain request.

b. But, just to gather more data for you folks, I try opening other entries in the login keychain. Indeed, I can reveal the secret data in the other entries. Using my login password.

c. But--here is more data--I open the IntuitID keychain entry; click to reveal the password data; and enter the same password, Keychain Access does not accept the password.

d. Having read other threads from would-be users of TurboTax, instead of entering my login password, in Keychain Access I select the Intuit ID entry; I click the box to reveal the password; I try entering my Intuit ID password. Keychain Access does not like that password. I am not surprised. I expect every entry in my login keychain to be protected by my macOS login password.

e. I return to TurboTax (yes; it is still running; the only way out is ForceQuit); I click MenuBar>File. The message box pops up. I try my Intuit ID password. Nope.

f. Knowing how to test software, I try other passwords, such as the password the the 2021 TurboTax return, a previous Intuit password, other passwords from the dim past. No, sir.

g. The keychain entry that is requested was created--not by me; by some application--last year, and last modified March 11, 2021 at 7:30:27 PM. Around the time I last opened TurboTax 2021.

I am guessing here: That entry was created by TurboTax 2021.

I am either correct here, or insane: I did not create that entry in my login keychain.

Cordially, Joaquin Oakland

Your suggested path does not exist: Applications > Other > Keychain access > Keychains > Login > Category > Passwords > find Intuit or TurboTax and right-click Get Info > Attributes > Show Password.

"Other" is not an option in Applications.  

After reading rpdo--who is, of course, correct about the path--I realized I had not looked at the other tab of the Keychain Access Info on the entry, "Intuit ID (prdatnresHR..."

On the Access Control tab of the entry's info, macOS shows, under Always allow access by these applications, this:   TurboTax 2021.app

That supports my guess that this keychain item was entered last spring by TurboTax 2021

I meant rdpo24.  Sorry.

---------

I see my item 2 in the long message was very unclear.  I rewrite:

I start the program; open a new file;* am asked about last year; in response, point TurboTax to its file created for my 2021 return; follow through the steps to confirm the prior year data.

[ * A new file, because I am starting a return for this new year.  TurboTax (thanks folks) offers to import data from the previous year. ]

Summary of the rest of my long message:  I add a business, rental property, and enter data for that business.  TurboTax won't let me save.  Does something with the macOS keychain API, which pops up the message asking for my login password. Won't accept that; nor my Intuit ID password; nor any other password I think to try. 

Won't let me save the file. Won't let me quit.

Same here, installed 2022, started it and it asked for keychain password and when I try to copy password from keychain to put it in it is asking me for password to "login" and none of the passwords work. Even if I deny it, every time I click file at the top bar it pops up again.

To add I can open Turbotax 2021 with my filling without any issues.

Please fix this.

bic1

The following steps (which were recommended by someone else in another post) seem to have solved this issue for me: (a) Restart the computer; (b) Start Turbotax and, when it asks for a keychain password, enter your computer screensaver or login password and click "always allow".  Good luck.

OMG, that worked! Thank You!! It has been so frustrating, definitely an issue for TurboTax to fix. Thank You!

Can't believe but restart worked for me, thanks!

Hey juaquinoakland,

Something similar was happening to me.  After downloading the TurboTax2022, the first time I tried to import last years tax return I too was facing a Mac message about TurboTax2022 wanting to use confindential information in my keychain (prdatnresHRieeTUF......).  I did not know the password and don't knowingly ever use the keychain or keychain access key.  I ended up opening up the Keychain Access App and finding the 2021 items for Intuit ID and Turbotax.  I right-clicked and copied the password to the clipboard.  I then started Turbotax again.  I don't understand what is happening but Turbotax2022 started without asking for the keychain password.  I NEVER ENTERED IT.  Sorry but that's not much to go on since I can't tell you exactly what I did that allowed the program to work.

Great story, pking1414! An elegant solution.

And great detective work.  A classic Hollywood plot: the detective stumbles upon the fact.

This is the way it is with software errors (Admiral Grace Hopper called them "bugs"). 

Many folks have not learned the lessons of Chapter Two of Glenford J. Myers book, The Art of Software Testing, titled: The Psychology and Economics of Software Testing.

The purpose of testing is to try to discover ways to break the software.

(You, I, and many others found a way that had not been found during testing.)

All managers get the Economics part, but many miss the Purpose.

Thanks.  But definitely must emphasize "stumbled".  I got lucky.

Suffered with a TurboTax2019 glitch that occurred repeatedly between filing federal and filing for state that required a complete deletion of the program PLUS deletion of all sorts of files way down in the guts of my Mac.  Thankfully I came across some folks in the community (MacUser22?) who had worked through the same problem and explained the process in sufficient detail as TurboTax failed to respond to the problem that many were running into.

Hoping you've had some luck as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies