Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mac keychain password to access turbotax 2022

All Macs use Keychain.  Completely behind the scenes, unless you yourself open and use the app.

Apparently two things are true:

Intuit Turbotax uses keychain;

Intuit has still done nothing in response to this, their serious design-mistake-or-bug.

When the box pops up, enter your MAC user password* click Always Allow.

You need to do this only one time.  There is no other way to work around this serious error.

*  When you started your machine and selected a user account, macOS asked you for a password.  That is the password to enter in the field.

wpd2

Not sure if anybody will read this.  12 pages of "Yeah I had this problem too" and "I completely reset my Mac and the problem didn't go away" doesn't really help shed any light on this issue.

But, if anybody reads this, here is what I think is going on... (keep in mind, I am not an expert, I am just a grumpy old coder...)

"Keychain" is built into MacOS.  You can read about it here: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-keychains-to-store-passwords-mchlf375f392/mac.

It seems to me that MacOS must provide a "keychain" service to apps that run on MacOS.

It seems to me that Intuit must have decided to use that service (intentionally or unintentionally) when writing TurboTax 2024.

I expect that the wording:

TurboTax 2023 wants to use your confidential information stored in the "bpxl_uuid_service" in your keychain.  To allow this, enter the "login" keychain password

is ENTIRELY controlled by Apple, not by Intuit.  I expect that this is the popup window that MacOS displays when an application first attempts to gain access to an existing keychain (or maybe even create a new one... I don't know).

I got very concerned when I saw this wording and refused to go any further until I learned more.  I found both this thread, and the Apple documentation I referenced above.

I launched the Keychain Access application as described here: https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/view-the-information-stored-in-a-keychain-kyca1085/m....

I searched for the string "bpxl" and saw the following:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 11.04.20 AM.pngThis was very interesting.  It showed that this was an "application password", for the "bplx_uuid_account" managed by the "bplx_uuid_service" (aside, I have no clue for what "bplx" might stand ... it would have been awfully nice if it said something like "intuit_uuid_account" and "intuit_uud_service"), and that it was last modified on March 31 2018.  (I guess I just told all of you when I must have filed my taxes in 2018 🙂 ).  Not sure why it has been untouched since then... perhaps Intuit rehired a old contracting agency to update TurboTax 2023.

When I clicked on the (i) info button at the top to view information about the bpxl thingy I saw this:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 11.08.35 AM.pngand when I clicked on the "Access Control" button, I saw this:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 11.10.18 AM.pngSo it seems like I must have allowed TurboTax 2017 to have access to this keychain way back when... and that is the only application that has access to this keychain.

Knowing all of this now, I feel more comfortable entering my login password into that scary looking popup box, clicking on "Always Allow" and moving on with trying to do my Taxes sometime before March 31st of this year.

Hopefully, somebody might find this helpful, or at least comforting.

I'm seeing this with 2023, even after years of user confusion.

After reading a while, I first deleted everything on the keychain that said 'intuit', but left the Turbotax entries (no 'intuit' in them too). Retrying, I got the same keychain password request for access to tmx-bpxl_uuid_service anyway, but this time I hit Deny a few times [only 2-3x before] and it proceeded. My next move would have been to delete it from the keychain too. Looking at what has access to that, I see it's TT 2022.

2023 seems to be running ok without the access. If it's needed, I'll try adding it from the Mac interface rather than as part of a TT process, so I can be sure what's happening.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies