turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Linda got a 1099-Misc as a volunteer participant in a research study on kidney medication

Linda received a 1099-MISC listing $1560 for being a volunteer participant in Mayo Foundation Medical Research Study on kidney medication.  How do I report it on my 2016 tax form?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Linda got a 1099-Misc as a volunteer participant in a research study on kidney medication

Here's how to enter a 1099-MISC with income in box 3 in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "1099-MISC and Other Common Income." Click the Start button for "Income from Form 1099-MISC."
  • The next screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.
  • TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.
  • "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Research Study." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the Research Study involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for Research Study?" - "I got it in 2016" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the Research Study involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

This will report the income as Other income on Form 1040 line 21 with the description "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc."

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Which box of the 1099-MISC is the $1,560 in?
Who is Linda? Your spouse? Your dependent? We can't see your tax return.

Linda is my spouse.  The $1560 is in box #3 Other Income
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here's how to enter a 1099-MISC with income in box 3 in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "1099-MISC and Other Common Income." Click the Start button for "Income from Form 1099-MISC."
  • The next screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.
  • TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.
  • "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Research Study." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the Research Study involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for Research Study?" - "I got it in 2016" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the Research Study involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

This will report the income as Other income on Form 1040 line 21 with the description "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc."

Thanks for your assistance.  lowellfish22
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies