May 31, 2019 7:30 PM
Here's how to enter a 1099-MISC with income in box 3 in TurboTax.
- Click the Federal Taxes tab.
- Click Wages & Income.
- Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
- On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "1099-MISC and Other Common Income." Click the Start button for "Income from Form 1099-MISC."
- The next screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
- On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.
- TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.
- "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Research Study." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions.
- "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
- "Did the Research Study involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
- "How often did you get income for Research Study?" - "I got it in 2016" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
- "Did the Research Study involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.
This will report the income as Other income on Form 1040 line 21 with the description "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc."
This widget could not be displayed.