turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim head of household if i suport my brother, but he lives at a different address

He doesn't work, is disabled but won't apply for any help.  He makes no money.  I take care of him.  He is 56 years old. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Can i claim head of household if i suport my brother, but he lives at a different address

Even if you're able to claim your brother as a dependent, you CANNOT file Head of Household if he does not live with you. To file as Head of Household, the Qualifying Person must live with you at least half the year, with the sole exception to that rule being your parent(s).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Even if you're able to claim your brother as a dependent, you CANNOT file Head of Household if he does not live with you. To file as Head of Household, the Qualifying Person must live with you at least half the year, with the sole exception to that rule being your parent(s).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Likely. If you claim your brother as a dependent, you qualify for Head of Household.

Here are the qualifications for claiming an adult as a dependent:

·       You provided more than half of their support.

·       They made less than $4,150 in gross taxable income. 

·       They are not a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

·       They are not filing a joint return with someone else.

·       They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

You can use this IRS Support Worksheet  to see who is able to claim your brother.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies