turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

late filing

if i paid what I thought i owed in April, but need to call my financial advisor tomorrow about a Roth contributions, is is better to wait and file a day late or file tonight and do an amendment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Mark-S
Level 2
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

late filing

A contribution to a ROTH IRA will have no impact on your tax obligation.  So if you want to e-file, you'd better do it immediately (it is 10.30pm here in California).  Now if you meant a contribution to a Traditional IRA, that would be different.  Actually, no it wouldn't, sorry.  Because you couldn't possibly deposit the contribution by midnight 10/15/2019.  My suggestion is to e-file immediately.  Then amend if there is something that could change your obligation.  But I don't think there is unless you've got NOL being carried forward from a prior year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Mark-S
Level 2
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

late filing

A contribution to a ROTH IRA will have no impact on your tax obligation.  So if you want to e-file, you'd better do it immediately (it is 10.30pm here in California).  Now if you meant a contribution to a Traditional IRA, that would be different.  Actually, no it wouldn't, sorry.  Because you couldn't possibly deposit the contribution by midnight 10/15/2019.  My suggestion is to e-file immediately.  Then amend if there is something that could change your obligation.  But I don't think there is unless you've got NOL being carried forward from a prior year.

late filing

thank you, i just filed,  i will call my financial advisor and make adjustments, my mom passed away in 2016, things got complicated but its filed now and I can always make the correction.   I think we did not contribute to a roth due to the financial restriction, but for the life of me I could not find out that info on my financial site, i called them in April now wondering if it got done. So now I will just have to fix the ROTH or IRA thing, but someone else said that should not affect my refund.  Thanks so much for responding

late filing

I ended up submitting my taxes after 12.00.  I am not getting a refund nor am I paying in.  Will I be penalized?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

late filing

Only if you owe taxes.  If you do not owe tax, you will not be penalized.   @22summertime16

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies