late filing

if i paid what I thought i owed in April, but need to call my financial advisor tomorrow about a Roth contributions, is is better to wait and file a day late or file tonight and do an amendment?

Intuit Approved!

late filing

A contribution to a ROTH IRA will have no impact on your tax obligation.  So if you want to e-file, you'd better do it immediately (it is 10.30pm here in California).  Now if you meant a contribution to a Traditional IRA, that would be different.  Actually, no it wouldn't, sorry.  Because you couldn't possibly deposit the contribution by midnight 10/15/2019.  My suggestion is to e-file immediately.  Then amend if there is something that could change your obligation.  But I don't think there is unless you've got NOL being carried forward from a prior year.

Intuit Approved!

late filing

late filing

thank you, i just filed,  i will call my financial advisor and make adjustments, my mom passed away in 2016, things got complicated but its filed now and I can always make the correction.   I think we did not contribute to a roth due to the financial restriction, but for the life of me I could not find out that info on my financial site, i called them in April now wondering if it got done. So now I will just have to fix the ROTH or IRA thing, but someone else said that should not affect my refund.  Thanks so much for responding