Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelcel88

I have all of my prior year TurboTax files from CD TurboTax in Windows version. I just purchased a Mac and would like to use TurboTax online. Can I view all files online?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have all of my prior year TurboTax files from CD TurboTax in Windows version. I just purchased a Mac and would like to use TurboTax online. Can I view all files online?

Tax returns that you prepared using desktop software installed onto your computer from CD's are not stored online with TurboTax.  They are only stored on the hard drive of the computer you used or any backup devices such as a flash drive.

(Some years ago I switched from Windows to a Mac, and an Apple "genius" helped transfer all of my tax files to the Mac)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you have the CDs, they have both the Windows and Mac versions of the software.  The tax data files can be opened by either version (PC or MAC).   So if you need to access a prior year, and if you install the software on your MAC for a particular year, you can open the *.taxYYYY data file fo that year (YYYY=year).    If you purchased a download file (Windows version) for a particular year, you'd have to ask Customer Support for the Mac version.

If you are accustomed to using the desktop product, be aware that the Online version has some limitations.   It says "Deluxe" by your username above.    While desktop Deluxe can handle all the usual forms, Online Deluxe cannot prepare Schedule D,E,F, or C with expenses, and cannot enter a K-1.   Online Premier cannot handle Schedule E, F, or C with expenses.  

A state return is included with many of the desktop products, but there is an extra fee to prepare a state return in the Online version.   In the desktop version, there is a 24.99 state efile fee, but no efile fee for New York state, and no  fee to print and mail the state returns.

The desktop version has Forms Mode for viewing/editing on the actual forms when necessary.   The Online version does not have Forms Mode.

Printing and archiving is easier with the desktop version.  Once you start using Online TurboTax, unless you download the returns and tax data file each year to archive yourself, it's possible to lose access to your returns if you don't keep using a paid product each year (PLUS or higher.)

Just to add...when I installed the TT CD's and had help transferring the tax files, I still needed the downloaded state software that was included with the CD's.  TurboTax customer support was really great in helping with that and let me download those state programs again.  epo39b makes some really good points..if you are accustomed to using desktop software, you would probably be disappointed in the online software.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you do use the Online version next year you can transfer from your 2016 return that's on your computer.  You will need to have the data file ending in .tax2016.  You can copy that one from your old computer.  In fact the .tax2016 file can be opened by both the Windows and Mac programs.  They use the same data file.

Even if you use the Online version you should copy all your files from the old computer.  What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer">https://ttlc...>

Lots of good points here...yet another comment:

Make sure you create PDF files for TTX 2012 and before on your Windows computer, and transfer those PDF files to your MAC as PDF files...because for those years (2012 and earlier) you will not be able to fully install the tax software on your MAC.

Why? Because you will not be able to update the software to the final versions, nor will you be able to download the state software for those earlier years.

You should be creating two PDF files of your final tax return(s) every year : 1) Just the bare PDF of the final tax return, and 2) The copy with All Forms and Worksheets.

And to re-iterate..Back up those two PDF files, and a copy of the final .taxyyy datafile on a flash drive, or other independent storage .......imagine your situation now if that Windows computer had totally crashed.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies