dylanhaga94

Just need to switch back over to free edition from Deluxe.

AnthonyJ

You are able to downgrade from your current TurboTax version as long as you have not already paid or attempted to submit/e-file/register your return.  If none of these situations pertain to you, you can complete the downgrade by following the instructions below.

Please keep in mind, in order to complete a downgrade you will be required to completely clear your information already entered and start all over.

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in to your  TurboTax Online account and select the blue Take me to my return button.
  2. On the Welcome Back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

Once this process is complete you will be asked to select your TurboTax version again.

bddixonbrandon

That is complete BS
debfbarton

I did my 2017 return and didn't sa e it but I was being harged forty dollars for doing my 'free tax return.

When I go back in and log on I keep being moved in a loop no opportunity to refill my return.|

Please advise how I can start for free from scratch?

Thanks

Please start your own new question.  You have added on to an old one and it might not be seen by someone who can answer.
diamondkelt

It is complete bs. They are equating "registering" your return to having "filed" before you actually hit the File button. 

Apparently, TT thinks it's too much of a hassle to scrap everything even if you haven't paid them or even filed.  This is a way to bind you so they can still get their money even if the tax version you used to figure out your taxes is no longer a benefit to you for the tax year you're filing.

But you can still upgrade of course because somehow upgrading (EVEN IF YOU HAVE REGISTERED YOUR TAXES) is allowable. 

That is a shady business tactic. 110% 

With that being said, TT automatically upgrades you to their lowest edition (TT Deluxe I believe) if you don't qualify for the Federal/State Free edition.  To get the free edition you have to have an AGI of $36k or lower, have qualified for the EIC, or are a veteran/active duty/military personnel.

evanprince4500

[Profanity Removed] I can't believe I just spent 8 hours doing my taxes only to find out I have to start from the beginning. 

AkinaLO

Unfortunately, once you have submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you wouldn't be able to clear and start over. The only other option is to review your fees and try to reduce any fees that you have. Please follow the instructions below.

How do I review my fees in TurboTax Online?  

This should help you reduce your fees.  

What can I do to reduce my fees?   

unhappy user1

I agree that this is BS. I did my entire return in the free version and am doing the standard deduction. So, education deductions essentially don't matter, but apparently entering education expenses requires that you pay for the deluxe edition. So, even though nothing was actually done in the deluxe edition I have to start over completely in order to not pay my entire tax refund to turbo tax. It's total BS!!!

AkinaLO

The Free File Program is also available if you qualify. Please refer to the FAQs below for qualification information.