turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mark30

How do I exclude 1099-MISC income of $9,800 from self-employment tax because the activity is not regular occurring (ie; did not occur in 2015 and will not occur in 2017)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

How do I exclude 1099-MISC income of $9,800 from self-employment tax because the activity is not regular occurring (ie; did not occur in 2015 and will not occur in 2017)?

What type of activity exactly?

A 1099-misc with more than $400 in box 7 is considered Self Employment to the IRS and you must pay SE taxes on it unless you have a really good reason that you don't need to do so even if you only do it in one tax year.

Agree...If you enter the $9,800 as Miscellaneous Income and not self-employment income, you will be receiving a letter from the IRS and then have a long conversation on why the IRS is wrong and you are correct.

Right. The IRS is pretty strict on this.

See OP's other post, in which he asks about Section 179. Sure does sound like he's self-employed.
mark30

It was consulting income.

Sorry pal but you are self employed so you must file a Sch C.

Answered in comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies