Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

It says "you entered CA SDI and/or VPDI greater than "$$". Since the maximum SDI/VPDI withholding for 2020 is "$$", you may have entered an incorrect code in box 14

I was able to fix the "infinite loop" condition associated with the CA VPDI entry in Box 14 of the W2 form.  Initially, based on the input of other users, I tried to fix the problem by lowering the original entry by 1 cent but TurboTax continued to flag the CA VPDI as being above the CA limit of $1,209.09.  However I noticed that the following entry in Box 14, labeled "RSU" in my W2, had been categorized by TurboTax as "CA VPDI tax".  It was sufficient to reclassify the entry as "no entry" and the issue was solved.

It says "you entered CA SDI and/or VPDI greater than "$$". Since the maximum SDI/VPDI withholding for 2020 is "$$", you may have entered an incorrect code in box 14

I have completed my taxes, but I am not sure I have entered the correct info for box 14 on my W-2 form.  Is there a way you can go back in and look at it?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. You can review your W-2 information @Tamilboogaard.

To get back to your W-2

• Type w-2 in Search in the upper right
  • Select Jump to W-2
  • Select Edit next to the W-2 you wish to review

Your California SDI will be on Box 14 with the category California SDI tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This problem is continuing in 2022

This solution did not solve the problem in 2022 tax filing (April 13 2023 software) 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

There was previously an issue where the California SDI credit interview was not working. That issue has been fixed. Some other users in this thread have found a solution to their specific issue.

There are multiple issues mentioned in this thread. If you have an issue that is preventing you from e-filing, I recommend that you post a detailed description of the issue in a new discussion thread.

On 4/13 I spent 2 hours trying to solve this software bug with my State tax submission.  There were dozens of people reporting this problem in 2021 tax year and several solutions.  None of the solutions worked for my return. 

In the end I gave up on electronic filing with TurboTax. I printed out my California return submitted it through the mail.  This was a pain because it required printing the supporting documents , paying online , driving to the post office, and paying $1.30 in postage.  

The failure of the software was made egregious when the problem was only shown after paying for and attempting to submit the return.  I "checked the return" a dozen time but this problem only showed up after paying and attempting to submit the return.  

I still need to figure out how to get a refund for my California filing fee. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible. 

groeck

When trying to file, and TurboTax refuses to submit, it asks to enter a value into the excess SDI field. Naturally one is inclined to enter 0, as suggested by the instructions. As others have observed, that does not work. What _did_ work for me is to clear the field entirely (enter nothing). With that, TurboTax was happy and submitted my return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies