Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was on FMLA and Short term disability for part of 2017 but did not receive a form 1099-g from my employer - should I have received one?

I am a full time employee in the state of Arizona for a large company with over 5000 employees.  Taxes were withheld according to payroll stubs. Thanks for a detailed response.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I was on FMLA and Short term disability for part of 2017 but did not receive a form 1099-g from my employer - should I have received one?

It is unlikely you will receive a 1099-G (government payments).  Temporary disability, such as an injury, serious medical condition, FMLA, or even pregnancy, short-term disability payments can be obtained through private insurers, and they may be part of an employer’s compensation to employees. Whether the payments are taxable depends on how and when they are paid.  

Typically, companies that offer paid medical leave or disability do so through a third-party insurer. You may receive a separate W-2 from that insurer to report the PFL income, or you may see the PFL reported as third-party sick pay on your regular, company-issued W-2.  You can confirm this with your employer.  

Employer disability benefits

If you and your employer share the cost of a disability plan, you are only liable for taxes on the amount received due to payments made by your employer. So, if you pay the entire cost of a sickness or injury plan with after-tax money, you do not need to report any payments you receive under the plan as income.

If your employer pays half the cost of premiums and does not deduct these payments from your pay, then you most likely must report half the payments received as income. Reimbursement of medical costs you’ve paid for after the plan was established are not taxable but may reduce the amount of your medical costs deduction.

Cafeteria plans

A cafeteria plan has nothing to do with how you dine. It refers to an injury insurance program that allows employees to select the coverage they wish to receive from a menu of options. Usually, this coverage is paid for by directing pre-tax dollars to the plan.

If the amount of the premiums is paid by your employer or by you with before-tax dollars then you must report any payments received as income. If, however, the income used for the plan was paid by you with after-tax dollars, you are considered to have paid the premiums and no payments under the plan need to be reported as income.

The above is an excerpt from this article if you need even more information:  Taxability of Short-Term Disability Payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies