turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I know if the website SoftwareDiscountUSA.com is selling valid, licensed copies of TurboTax? It looks like it may be a scam.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I know if the website SoftwareDiscountUSA.com is selling valid, licensed copies of TurboTax? It looks like it may be a scam.

This link Where can I obtain authentic TurboTax software? has a list of authorized TurboTax resellers.

View solution in original post

30 Replies

It is not licensed to sell TT.

Why doesn't Intuit shut them down?  I search Google for TurboTax download and their Ad is the top result.  Can I report this?

This is a rip off company, when you buy from them they will repeatedly keep charging your credit card and they fight the credit card companies will not fight for you the charges just keeep coming to haunt you till you close the account

I just purchased a digital version of TurboTax Premier 2020 with one set of activation key. It works fine on our iMAC machine and start software update ( Turbo tax premier) right away. I will be watching on my credit card charge regularly to make sure there is no repeated multiple charge of the same purchase.

Anonymous
Not applicable

from what website? some are legit some aren't. if they aren't at best you get counterfeit software at worse you may get faulty software or even worse your identity may be stolen.  they have your Credit Card number 

This link Where can I obtain authentic TurboTax software? has a list of authorized TurboTax resellers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just ordered the TTax 2020 and it's working fine. The code I received worked fine. But others stated that they charge few times on credit card. I'm not sure if this is right but I will keep checking..... 

Buying from unauthorized resellers can be risky ... even thou the program may work correctly your CC or personal tax return info can be harvested and used/sold    and/or   spyware/malware can also be installed in the background.  Use at your own risk.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe but not in this case.... Everything went fine. If something would go wrong I would Said so.

Anonymous
Not applicable

They can't get your personal info like that. If you worry about that you should not install or run Any software that connects to internet. Including your Emails or Browser and other stuff.....

@Anonymous wrote:

They can't get your personal info like that. If you worry about that you should not install or run Any software that connects to internet. Including your Emails or Browser and other stuff.....

At best, you are helping the vendor steal from turbotax and making the product more expensive for everyone else.  Are you the sort of person who would buy a $100 power tool for $50, out of the trunk of someone's car at the Home Depot parking lot, knowing they just shoplifted it from the store?  If you would not do this in the daylight, why do it in the privacy of your home?

At worst, the software might be compromised, your personal information might be misused, or the activation code might not work as expected.  (For example, if they sell the same code to 5 people, all 5 people will get one installation, and won't know anything is wrong, until they need to install it on a second computer.)

Best of luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know what you talking about. They are selling legal software. They did not steal the software or give a pirate Licence. They got it from dealers just like Amazon, Best Buy and so on. So no I'm not helping them steal and sell pirate software. Get your information straight before you accuse someone of Stealing.......

And yes I would buy a Tool for 50% off. From the web side not from truck.....

Who are "they"?  If you buy a download or CD from a non authorized place or website they can put a virus on it that will steal your Personal Info or scam you or mess up your computer, etc.  Or give you a used or fake activation code.  Lots of things can happen.

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know what you talking about. They are selling legal software. They did not steal the software or give a pirate Licence. They got it from dealers just like Amazon, Best Buy and so on. So no I'm not helping them steal and sell pirate software. Get your information straight before you accuse someone of Stealing.......

And yes I would buy a Tool for 50% off. From the web side not from truck.....

No, you’re just being willfully blind. If an unauthorized site can buy copies from Amazon, they won’t make a profit unless they sell for more than Amazon charges. Which they must not be doing, otherwise you would be buying from Amazon instead of the unauthorized site. The only way the unauthorized site can undercut authorized vendors and still make a profit for themselves is if they are doing something underhanded.  The most common complaint that we have seen over past years is that the unauthorized site cells activation codes that have already been used. An activation code can be used up to five times. Suppose they sell the same code to three people. Odds are, their customers won’t need to reinstall the program and so won’t have reason to complain, but buying one copy and reselling it three times is clearly stealing.  And we do see complaints here later in the season of people who need to reinstall the software and their activation codes won’t work, and customer service won’t provide a new activation code without proof of purchase from an authorized reseller.

Regardless, you’ve obviously made up your mind and everyone else reading this can make up their own minds and take their own risks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies