turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I know if the website SoftwareDiscountUSA.com is selling valid, licensed copies of TurboTax? It looks like it may be a scam.

I'm not going keep argue with you.. You don't have to be authorized reseller to sell things. I don't know where you got that Stupid Idea that you can't sell... I told they did not stole the software and is no Pirate.. It has legitimate Licence so it came from TurbiTax it self and not that they make it the licence.

So stop saying stupid things that you don't nothing about it....... 

The TurboTax shows Authorized sides that are Big but smaller can sell it too......

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I know if the website SoftwareDiscountUSA.com is selling valid, licensed copies of TurboTax? It looks like it may be a scam.

This is Authorized dealers - Amazon, Best Buy, BJs, Costco, Dell, Newegg, Office Depot Max, Sam's Club, Staples.

I can buy it at Walmart, Target, and other stores. Are you want me to tell that Walmart will sell me PIRATE TurboTax..

Be Real and stop talking stupid stuff........................

Hey, we are talking about non authorized places!  Not legitimate websites and stores.  The places you listed ARE Legit.

@Anonymous wrote:

This is Authorized dealers - Amazon, Best Buy, BJs, Costco, Dell, Newegg, Office Depot Max, Sam's Club, Staples.

I can buy it at Walmart, Target, and other stores. Are you want me to tell that Walmart will sell me PIRATE TurboTax..

Be Real and stop talking stupid stuff........................

Guy, Target is listed.  And Sam's Club is the same as Walmart, I expect not listing Walmart is an oversight.

Look, here's how it works:

An authorized reseller gets their boxed copies, or their authorization codes, in bulk at a discount off the "suggested" list price.  The reseller can then sell the boxed copy or license code for any price they want.  It so happens that Costco usually sells at or below their bulk wholesale price, because Costco makes most of its operating profit on their annual membership fees.  Everyone else sells for a price that is higher than the wholesale price, but usually lower than the official "list" price, so they can call it a discount.

Any other reseller must get their copies from someone else, because they can't get them from Turbotax.  So maybe the reseller goes to Costco and buys 100 boxed copies.  And then lists them for $10 less than the Costco price.  How exactly do they make money?

Which is why they don't sell boxed copies, only downloads with activation codes.  Do you really think they buy the activation codes from legitimate vendors for $49.99 (Turbotax Deluxe Fed+State PC download) each and sell them for $39.99 each?  No, they sell the same activation code 2, 3 or more times.  Now that's $120 revenue off a $50 purchase, and most customers never know the difference. 

There's a reason that web sites like this are registered anonymously through registrars like "www.namecheap.com" (actual registration data for this site) and serve their software copies from Dropbox or Google Drive instead of legitimate servers.  

Nearly all consumer goods are like this.  You go to a street vendor and by a"Gucci" handbag, you know the vendor didn't get it wholesale from the Gucci factory.  It's most likely counterfeit, or stolen, or used.  But as long as it looks real enough to fool your friends, you don't care.

What you are essentially saying is, "I trust that this anonymous company more than I trust multiple volunteers with 100+ years of combined experience".  

So good luck to you, and happy Christmas or whatever else you celebrate. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchased TT 2020 from them.  Worked fine but....  license says I can install up to a 3rd(?) computer.  When I tried to install on a second machine, message returned that my activation/license number was invalid.  So maybe they sell the same license number several times?  No unauthorized credit card charges so far.

Needless to say, I'm not going back to this outfit ever.

For USA returns you can install it on 5 computers you own.  Canada might be 3.  

But There is a problem if you first installed the CD.  It doesn't connect you to an account you can find.  You have to call in and ask for the download and a new License Code.  Hopefully you get a customer service person who know about it.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

@Opus 17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know what you talking about. They are selling legal software. They did not steal the software or give a pirate Licence. They got it from dealers just like Amazon, Best Buy and so on. So no I'm not helping them steal and sell pirate software. Get your information straight before you accuse someone of Stealing.......

And yes I would buy a Tool for 50% off. From the web side not from truck.....

No, you’re just being willfully blind. If an unauthorized site can buy copies from Amazon, they won’t make a profit unless they sell for more than Amazon charges. Which they must not be doing, otherwise you would be buying from Amazon instead of the unauthorized site. The only way the unauthorized site can undercut authorized vendors and still make a profit for themselves is if they are doing something underhanded.  The most common complaint that we have seen over past years is that the unauthorized site cells activation codes that have already been used. An activation code can be used up to five times. Suppose they sell the same code to three people. Odds are, their customers won’t need to reinstall the program and so won’t have reason to complain, but buying one copy and reselling it three times is clearly stealing.  And we do see complaints here later in the season of people who need to reinstall the software and their activation codes won’t work, and customer service won’t provide a new activation code without proof of purchase from an authorized reseller.

Regardless, you’ve obviously made up your mind and everyone else reading this can make up their own minds and take their own risks.

I did buy from them last year before I knew about their business model. Indeed, when I tried to install on a second machine a month or so after the first install, the activation code would not work. When I contacted them, they provided me with a different activation code which did work. But I know better now and will pay a few more $ in order to get a valid, authorized version this tax year.

We all want a great deal but I'm willing to pay for nice, clean oats. If, on the other hand, you're willing to pay for oats that have already been through the horse, that's your call.

Just in case there's interest: Costco has the Home & Business "download" for $70 + sales tax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"

I did buy from them last year before I knew about their business model. Indeed, when I tried to install on a second machine a month or so after the first install, the activation code would not work. When I contacted them, they provided me with a different activation code which did work. But I know better now and will pay a few more $ in order to get a valid, authorized version this tax year.

We all want a great deal but I'm willing to pay for nice, clean oats. If, on the other hand, you're willing to pay for oats that have already been through the horse, that's your call."

This got nothing to do with the DiscountUSA but TurboTax security. So you can't share with others like friends, Family and so on.

I've been buying from them for the last 3 years and it always work and their customer service always answers my questions and resolves any problem when I have.

jbejm--- You are WRONG. Everyone agrees you are WRONG. So grow up and admit YOU ARE WRONG. 

I bought TT Business 2022 and Delux from them. When I went to install it, it said my license key had already reached the maximum 5 installations! I contacted Intuit, and they confirmed the license key was a service license, which they likely give out to multiple people. They give you another service license key when you contact them about the problem. Stay away!! I asked for a refund, but I'm not holding my breath on getting my money back. 

you're are somewhat lucky. buying from an unauthorized source can be dangerous. your computer could have been hijacked for which they would demand ransom to release it. sometimes they don't follow through. consider it money well spent and a lesson learned.

I made a similar mistake, purchasing Premier via Groupon from a “company” (I use that term very loosely) which identifies itself as “Belllis Llc.” Yes, that’s three l’s in Belllis and “Llc” and not “LLC.” I realized too late that the activation code is good for only one computer, and as most of you likely know, a legitimate product allows downloads on five computers. The email sent with the code was clearly hand-generated and had no branding in it (not even Groupon branding). At this point, I’m just keeping an eye on my bank account and hoping for the best. I’ve notified Groupon (and just trying to spread the word here and where I can) that it does them no good to be partnered with a scam operation. And, of course, it ended up being no bargain, since the code only worked on one computer. 

I spent some time on the phone with Intuit trying to report the party from where I made a similar purchase, but they could not help (ie could not take a complaint) and suggested that I post here. Unfortunate that they don’t want to expend a bit of energy to shut these parties down; by them being out there, it gives Intuit a bad name. Negative reviews I now see on Groupon are complaining about TurboTax, but in reality, it’s not TT that’s the issue, it’s this scam artist.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies