Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vjdamore

Is it realy $59 for state even if i don't efile?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

A state program using the TurboTax online editions is currently $59.  The account fees are for the use of the TurboTax software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fee is the same whether the tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

You pay a separate fee for federal and for state when you use the paid versions of online TurboTax.  The fees are the same whether you e-file or mail the return in an envelope.  The fee is not for e-filing, the fee is for using the software to prepare the return

-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

How can I see my TurboTax  fees? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons     (BEFORE you e-file) :

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
vjdamore

Thanks for the response.  Is this new?  I've used TT for my kids returns for years and never paid for state.  I used to file fed electronically and print and mail state.  Can't believe I just paid $118 to do fed and state.  Shame on me.

If you were using the Free online edition, the state return would also be free.  However, you upgraded to the Deluxe online edition, which is currently $59, so the state program is no longer free, it is also $59.

vjdamore

Is it the same price if I buy the actual software/download....and NOT use the online version?

@vjdamore wrote:

Is it the same price if I buy the actual software/download....and NOT use the online version?

If you purchase one of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions of either Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business, one free state program download is included in the purchase price.  If another different state program is needed there is a $45 charge.

Using the TurboTax desktop editions you received 5 free federal e-files.  There is a state e-file charge that is currently $25 for each state return e-filed.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

Go to this TurboTax website for the 2023 desktop editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

vjdamore

So bottom line.  I paid $59 for fed and $59 for state for ONE person online when I could have downloaded for $55 and had 5 free fed and 1 free state.  So now I have to pay another $55 to download to do another return.  Disgraceful....but shame on me.....and they won't help me.  Used them for many years but time to move on.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies