turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS credit for Tax Payment omitted from Form 1040

Can I expect IRS to find & credit a Tax Payment made with Form 1040ES BUT omitted from Form 1040.  Tax year is 2018. Form 1040 is complete, but not yet filed. Correcting it , as well as, NY State Tax filing Form IT-203, will be difficult for me. Deadline for Form 1040x is Apr 15,  2022.  I have time to see if IRS makes the correction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS should find and credit the payment, provided that the payment exists or proof can be furnished should the IRS ask for it.  As long as the amended return is mailed by April 15, 2022, it is filed on time and any request for refund will be processed as long as the claim can be substantiated, even if the payment takes several months beyond April 15, 2022.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

You cannot expect the IRS to find and credit the estimated payment omitted from your 1040. If you haven't yet filed then you should correct your return, and if you have filed then wait for the return to be accepted or rejected. If rejected you can then modify the return but if accepted you must then file an amended tax return.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
Anonymous
Not applicable

have you already filed 2018? if so you can go to the IRS website and get a transcript which would show if the IRS corrected the return for the missed payment. if you haven't file you do not file a 1040-X that's for an amended return AFTER the original has been filed.  

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

I appreciate your thoughtful response to my query  There is one small factual error, however. I know, for certain that to claim a refund, the claim must be IN THE HANDS of the IRS, within three years of the filing date, WITHOUT EXTENSIONS. The postmark date does not matter.

If you haven't filed the original return yet I would just write in ink the estimated payment and change the amounts after it.  

For 2018 Estimated payments should be on schedule 5 line 66.  And go to 1040 line 17.  Here's schedule 5 if you don't have one.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040s5--2018.pdf 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies