turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I file each year with Turbo. I need to know how you calculated appreciation as I believe it is way to high

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I file each year with Turbo. I need to know how you calculated appreciation as I believe it is way to high

1. Determine your property's cost basis. Typically, the basis is what you actually paid for the property, including all closing costs..

2.  Allocate your basis between the depreciable condo, and the non-depreciable land on which it sits. 

3.  Divide the property's cost basis by 27.5 to find your annual depreciation allowance.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Appreciation of what?

Do you mean Depreciation on some Assets?

If so, what type of assets?

investment condo

investment condo

1. Determine your property's cost basis. Typically, the basis is what you actually paid for the property, including all closing costs..

2.  Allocate your basis between the depreciable condo, and the non-depreciable land on which it sits. 

3.  Divide the property's cost basis by 27.5 to find your annual depreciation allowance.

thank you,  i purchased the condo for 315000 Turbo is calculating depreciation at 24000 each year, is this correct?  if you divide 315000 by 27.5 you get half of this amount thanks

Did you identify the condo as the wrong type of asset?

When exactly was the condo placed in service?

IN 2010 TO MY SON , HE LOST HIS JOB SO IN 2015 AND 2016 I PAID THE MORTGAGE AND ASSOC, IS THIS CORRECT

It seems like you entered something wrong.  It may be in you best interest to go to a tax professional so he can look at all of your tax returns since 2010 and see what can be corrected.

Also, if your son is living there and not paying Fair Rental Value, it can't be deprecated for those years.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies