Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stav1955

Import data from Charles Schwab problem.

Thanks. I did all that a week ago and was successful....although i did still use Chrome.

gmkc

I was able to download some of it, but I still see too many empty boxes and I dont trust it.  Im going to have to research the empty boxes.

Success.  I always clear history and cookies, but I switched to Chrome vs Brave browser. It worked.

Thank you

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We are glad to hear that switching to Google Chrome has worked for you. 

@krugbt 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Stav1955

Please don't misunderstand.   I did not switch to Chrome, it just finally worked after ckearing browser and cache

brazos502
Returning Member

In my case I get signed into  Charles Schwab system, but I get this page, and there is no "CONTINUE" to click to proceed.   Charles Schwab tells me its a Turbo tax problem

nstruction and Informed Consent to Allow TurboTax to Access Your Account Information

Please read the following and provide consent to the terms and conditions. By clicking Continue, you authorize Schwab to grant access to and share the following data with TurboTax.

Your Instruction to Schwab. On this page you can direct Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and its affiliates ("Schwab", "we" or "us") to allow third-party tax preparation software providers (each a “Tax Preparation Software Provider”) that you designate to access and export your Schwab account information ("Account Information"). By instructing us to do this, and by clicking "Continue" below, you are agreeing to these terms, which we may amend from time to time, and providing your informed consent. You are accepting the responsibility and risks summarized below. We may change, suspend or cancel this instruction at any time. A copy of these terms is available at schwab.com/taxprepinformedconsent.

The Account Information You Will Be Sharing. For each brokerage, loan, line of credit, and/or deposit account that you instruct us to link to a Tax Preparation Software Provider , you are authorizing Schwab to allow that Tax Preparation Software Provider access to your Account Information including the following categories: account descriptors, information exported by the Tax Preparation Software Provider used to populate tax forms, including, but not limited to, Form 1099-B, Form 1099-DIV, Form 1099-INT, Form 1099-MISC, Form 1099-OID, and Form 1099-R

Schwab does not customize the Account Information that Tax

Two years later and I am having the same problem.  When I try to download my Schwab 1099B nothing happens except that I am offered to download the interest and dividends. I need the sales to be downloaded.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Make sure you are selecting the correct account for your brokerage; the list has many similar names.   Problems importing 1099s

If you can't import your tax document, choose Enter Another Way and then choose to enter the form manually.   @rebromer 

Importing 1099-B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Appreciate all the comments, but in spite of trying at least a dozen times, using 4 different browsers, with clearing all cache and cookies and history, I was never successful this year (2024). Ultimately had to enter the data manually, but then had to snail mail in a hard copy of Form 8453 with date acquired & sold, cost basis, gain or loss for each sale, etc. for every transaction. Not an excessive pain, but certainly eliminated the "ease" of doing everything on line with TurboTax. I'm not convinced Intuit seriously investigated the issue. And Schwab knew of no reports of issues on their side.

there are seven categories that can be used in Turbotax where only the totals for each category are entered. then you go the 8453 route by sending the IRS the 8453 with the 1099-B attached - no need to fill out forms 8949 for what you end to the iRS

Mailing to the IRS would be annoying if the 1099-B was 100s of pages.

the 6 categories are how Scwab's 1099-B is organized.

A.  short-term sales price and tax basis reported to iRS. in addition, if there are no adjustments this can be reported on line 1a of form schedule D and no detail needs to be furnished to the IRS

B . short-term sales price but not cost basis reported to IRS - the iRS wants details

C. short-term  neither sales price nor cost reported to the IRS - the IRS wants details

D. long-term same rules A but if there are no adjustments they can be entered on line 8a of schedule D which does not require details to be sent to the IRS 

E and F  long-term same rules as B and C for short term 

X Schwab knows neither the holding period nor their ax basis.  - you're the one to make the decision as to how to report them 

So why am I paying Turbotax to do my taxes? This has been a problem for at least 2 years. You need to figure it out. It will take me hours to enter the transactions manually. It should be automatic like it is from JP Morgan.

I did select the correct accounts, but I was only offered the 1099-INT's and 1099-DIV's, not any of the 1099-B's.  It's only the 1099-B's that I care about.  I did this for JP Morgan and there was no problem.  Turbotax needs to fix this problem.  This is unacceptable.

Thanks Mike. Agree that if the 1099-B were 100 pages it would be a royal pain. Mine wasn't more than 10 pages, and entering the necessary data manually probably didn't take over 15 minutes. So the most annoying piece was the fact that anything had to be done manually, since that wasn't the case the last 10+ years (or as long as importing direct was possible). I had this same problem last year, but finally had a successful download after half a dozen tries.  All that said, I'll continue to use TurboTax for foreseeable future. The confidence that the TurboTax error checking will find my mistakes or omissions outweighs the temporary (I hope) inconvenience of this Schwab 1099 download issue. Plus a 25+ year TurboTax habit is hard to break...

rebromer:  I agree with you that this is an issue Intuit should be able to fix. As I mentioned in previous message, I also had this problem last year, but through whatever miracle occurred, I was eventually able to successfully download the Schwab info. So the necessity of a fix by Intuit/TurboTax is clear and obvious. When I talked to a human, either last year or this, who was either a TurboTax employee or temp contractor during tax season, there was no acknowledgment of what the problem might be: they were tax experts, not software. I finally gave up trying to get the message to someone at Intuit that might address the software issue. Hopefully a light bulb will go on in some back room in the next 8 months so they fix it by early 2025.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies