Solved: If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school j...

If my 17 yr old daughter worked in 2016 can i still claim her on taxes as a dependent?

She still lived with me, and I paid everything for our home, electricity, food, her car, insurance, ect.  She only bought her own clothes and wasted her money she made.

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

You can claim your daughter as a dependent no matter how much she makes since she is under 19 on Dec 31.

even if she made more than $4,500 in 2016

Yes as long as she is under 19 or under 24 and a full time student.  She also might have to file her own return.  She needs to check the box that says she can be claimed on someone else's return.