turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

domjess17

How so I submit a it-209 form?

It's for paying child support.  Eic, nc
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristieB

If you were a full-year resident, you can get to the section that generates the IT-209 form by taking the steps below: 

When logged into TurboTax Online:

1.) Click on State on the left-hand side

2.) Continue to your New York return

3.) When you reach the section called Take a look at New York credit and taxes, click Earned Income Credit

4.) It will ask you if you were a non-custodial parent, click Yes, and continue through the following pages to answer the questions for your IT-209

View solution in original post

15 Replies
ChristieB

If you were a full-year resident, you can get to the section that generates the IT-209 form by taking the steps below: 

When logged into TurboTax Online:

1.) Click on State on the left-hand side

2.) Continue to your New York return

3.) When you reach the section called Take a look at New York credit and taxes, click Earned Income Credit

4.) It will ask you if you were a non-custodial parent, click Yes, and continue through the following pages to answer the questions for your IT-209

Sdot2722

The earned income credit option for non custodial Parents in the new york state return doesnt exists. Ive been looking and redoing my state return for days and still cant find it.

blitz823

Can't find where to put info for IT-209

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

In order to generate NY Form IT-209, please follow these steps:

1. While in your NY return, go to the screen, Take a look at New York Credits and Taxes.
  2. In the You and Your Family section, click the Start/Update box next to Earned Income Credit[See Screenshot #1, below.]
  3. On the screen, New York Earned Income Credit, click the Yes box to indicate you were a noncustodial parent in 2020.
  4. On the screen, Are You Eligible for the Noncustodial EIC, mark the appropriate boxes.  [Screenshot #2]
  5. Enter the child's information on the next screen, Report Children's Info.  [Screenshot #3]

According to the instructions for NY Form IT-209:

You may claim the noncustodial EIC only if you meet all of the following conditions for the tax year. You must • be a full-year New York State resident, • be at least 18 years of age, • be a parent of a minor child (or children) with whom you do not reside, • have an order in effect for at least one-half of the tax year requiring you to make child support payments payable through a New York State Support Collection Unit (SCU) pursuant to Social Services Law section 111-h, and • have paid an amount in child support at least equal to the amount of current child support you were required to pay by all court orders.

SCREENSHOT #1

SCREENSHOT #2

SCREENSHOT #2

SCREENSHOT #3

bbell4108

This is not an option on mine, I have tried 100 times. 

Here's how to get to form IT-209

1. Click on State on the left-hand side
  2. Continue to your New York return
  3. When you reach the section called Take a look at New York credit and taxes, click Earned Income Credit
  4. It will ask you if you were a non-custodial parent, click Yes, and continue through the following pages to answer the questions for your IT-209

Keep in mind, you must be a full-year resident of New York State to get the credit, and you must meet the following qualifications to claim the noncustodial Earned Income Credit:

You must:

• Be a full-year New York State resident,
  • Be at least 18 years of age,
  • Be a parent of a minor child (or children) with whom you do not reside,
  • Have an order in effect for at least one-half of the tax year requiring you to make child support payments payable through a New York State Support Collection Unit (SCU) and
  • Have paid an amount in child support at least equal to the amount of current child support you were required to pay by all court orders.

Brion1

In my online version of 2020 TurboTax. There is no "Earned Income" Option in the section labeled "Take a look at New York credits and taxes"

Please advise

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please review your federal return and make sure that you meet the qualifications listed farther below.

• See How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing? 
  • Verify that you are receiving Federal EIC with a qualifying child as a noncustodial parent. 
  • If you do qualify, the program should be calculating it for you. 
  • While you are in the preview mode, you can also review your state return.

New York State earned income credit. Taxpayers who claimed or could have claimed the federal Earned Income Credit complete Form IT-215, Claim for Earned Income Credit, to compute the credit. 

New York State noncustodial parent earned income credit. To claim the credit, the taxpayer must:

• Be a full-year New York State resident,

• Be at least 18 years of age,

• Be a parent of a minor child with whom the taxpayer does not reside,• Have an order in effect for at least half the tax year that requires the taxpayer to make child support payments payable through a Support Collection Unit (SCU), and

• Have paid an amount in child support in 2020 at least equal to the amount required by court orders.

• Have investment income of less than $3,650.The credit is based on a percentage of the amount that would have been allowed if the noncustodial child met the definition of a qualifying child on the federal return. See Form IT-209 for more information

New York City earned income credit. Applies only to New York City residents who claimed the federal Earned Income Credit on their 2020 tax return. Use Form IT-215, Claim for Earned Income Credit, or Form IT-209, Claim for Noncustodial Parent New York State Earned Income Credit

@Brion1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand how to fill the form. I do not have my daughters social security number, the mother does. When I go to the last step to complete and e file it won't let me submit without filling in the number. How can I e-file without the number. I cannot get the SS#. Is there a way to submit without it? 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you do not have the social security number, you will need to file the return by mail. 

Just tried to print the state tax to be mailed and got a letter saying 

"New York state requires this income tax return to be filed electronically"

Also says 

"New York state law requires income tax prepared using software to be e-filed." 

What should I do now? Print the papers and fill them out by hand??

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You must have the social security for your qualifying child to claim the credit. Please see this information from https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/nceic.htm

@Otmb13

Non cusidatal parents this doesn't work 2 parents can not file the same child the cusidatal parents will get rejected and u will in uparrested 

Non custodial is a form for child support

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies