Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a fullyear MI resident in an LLC in AR. For 2016 I received K-1 for KY for LLET pass-through sales in KY. Do I need to file a KY return as well as the MI and AR?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am a fullyear MI resident in an LLC in AR. For 2016 I received K-1 for KY for LLET pass-through sales in KY. Do I need to file a KY return as well as the MI and AR?

It depends.  The partnership would have filed the LLET (which is the Limited Liability Entity Tax, for LLC registration in KY).  You the individual are not responsible for this filing.  However, you are responsible for KY state tax on income generated in Kentucky.  Although there is a reciprocal agreement between Kentucky and Michigan, the reciprocal agreement covers wages, salaries and tips earned for services rendered, whereas your income is a form of self-employment.  Therefore, the net amount that you earn in Kentucky is taxable to Kentucky, requiring you to file a KY nonresident return.

Having said this, if you do need to file the KY return (you are required to if you have positive income in KY), then you will get a credit on your Michigan return for taxes you pay to KY on this income.  This income is not taxable to Arkansas because you are a nonresident in Arkansas as well and this income was earned in Kentucky.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  The partnership would have filed the LLET (which is the Limited Liability Entity Tax, for LLC registration in KY).  You the individual are not responsible for this filing.  However, you are responsible for KY state tax on income generated in Kentucky.  Although there is a reciprocal agreement between Kentucky and Michigan, the reciprocal agreement covers wages, salaries and tips earned for services rendered, whereas your income is a form of self-employment.  Therefore, the net amount that you earn in Kentucky is taxable to Kentucky, requiring you to file a KY nonresident return.

Having said this, if you do need to file the KY return (you are required to if you have positive income in KY), then you will get a credit on your Michigan return for taxes you pay to KY on this income.  This income is not taxable to Arkansas because you are a nonresident in Arkansas as well and this income was earned in Kentucky.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies