Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcfam1122

If the TTax system has our joint filing info saved w/ referencing ME (wife/unempl’d)as the ‘filer’,but HIM (husb/empl’d)as “spouse”.How do I switch the placement of this?

Basically, instead of the system, referring to me, and my name as the filer, that should be my husband’s name and information as he is the one filing, I am currently employed. My information should be under spouse. I don’t know where to switch this, any advice Or guidance would be great! Thank you in advance!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If the TTax system has our joint filing info saved w/ referencing ME (wife/unempl’d)as the ‘filer’,but HIM (husb/empl’d)as “spouse”.How do I switch the placement of this?

Once a married couple set the order they are listed on the tax return the order should NEVER be changed on future returns  as this can confuse the IRS.  It doesn't matter if the primary taxpayer listed has no income to report on a JOINT return.  

The order of names doesn't matter.  But you should try to be consistent each year.

How did you file last year?  You should not change the order of names.  TurboTax will not allow you to remove the primary taxpayer on the return. And you should not try to change the order of names.  If you were listed as the spouse and want to be the primary taxpayer now or delete the primary person, you will need to start a new return by logging out and starting over with a new account and new user name and password.  You will not be able to transfer from the prior year.  If you try to change the order there are too many places to change it and you might miss some.

Or you can try to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies