turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If someone claimed me on there taxes will they get my stimulus check? If they dont can i file just a regular tax return so i can get the stimulus check or will i get in trouble cause i was already claimed? I dont want to get into trouble

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If someone claimed me on there taxes will they get my stimulus check? If they dont can i file just a regular tax return so i can get the stimulus check or will i get in trouble cause i was already claimed? I dont want to get into trouble

Yes, they would receive the stimulus payment for you if you're under 17.  If someone else already claimed you, you cannot file without checking the box saying you're being claimed by someone else.  If you don't check that, your return will be rejected by the IRS.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You would not get into trouble for filing your own tax return, whether or not you were claimed on another tax return.  However, if you have been claimed or could have been claimed as a dependent on another tax return, you are not eligible for a stimulus payment.  

As stated by user Stinkerbellkity, if you have been claimed as a dependent or you could be claimed as a dependent, you must check a box on your return indicating that.  When that box is checked, you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  

To learn more:  IRS - Economic Impact Payment

@Teisha3815

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies