Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was summoned for Jury Duty, spent the day while they selected the Jury, and wasn't selected, but got 6 dollars compensation, how would it affect my tax return?

The people selecting the Jury had a ton of people that they needed to weed through. They said that anyone that was selected to be briefed on the general nature of the case would be paid 6 dollars, and if they were selected, they would recieve more money. I was not selected to serve on the jury, so I received 6 dollars.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I was summoned for Jury Duty, spent the day while they selected the Jury, and wasn't selected, but got 6 dollars compensation, how would it affect my tax return?

Six dollars should not affect your tax return one way or the other, but you need to report the jury duty payment.

To enter, change or delete Jury Duty pay -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Jury Duty, click the start or update button

Or enter jury duty pay in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to jury duty pay

If they send you any sort of document like a 1099 for the jury pay you have to enter it on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies