Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

blueblue132

If I was on leave of absence from 9/2018 and earned no income or benefit pay through 2019, should I receive a W2 for 2019?

If I was on leave and earned no income in 2019 from my employer, should I get a W2?

If you received no income of any kind then you should not get any tax reporting form so you don't have any tax return to file.

rjs

No. If you had no income at all from that employer, you do not get a W-2. If you are filing a tax return for 2019 because you had other income, you do not enter a W-2 or anything else about that employer.

blueblue132

Thank you. I have an offer for a new job and after the background check, the employer is asking for a W2 for 2019. I was on LOA in 2019 and left the company without any earnings in 2019. I've told them I did not get a w2 but they are requiring it anyway. Is this normal or is there another official document they might accept? 

Get an IRS wage transcript to show no earnings for that tax year. 

Federal Tax transcripts can only be obtained from the IRS using this website - https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

rjs

@blueblue132 wrote:

I've told them I did not get a w2 but they are requiring it anyway. Is this normal or is there another official document they might accept? 

No, that's not a normal request. Ask the new employer why they are requiring a W-2 for a year when you had no W-2 income. Ask them if they would issue a W-2 to someone who didn't work for them. Do they expect you to get a W-2 from every company that you did not work for? As for what other document they might accept, you will have to ask them. Obviously their request makes no sense. What exactly are they asking you to prove?

Are you sure you want to work for a company that's so outrageously unreasonable?

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~