Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blueblue132
Returning Member

If I was on leave of absence from 9/2018 and earned no income or benefit pay through 2019, should I receive a W2 for 2019?

If I was on leave and earned no income in 2019 from my employer, should I get a W2?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If I was on leave of absence from 9/2018 and earned no income or benefit pay through 2019, should I receive a W2 for 2019?

If you received no income of any kind then you should not get any tax reporting form so you don't have any tax return to file.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No. If you had no income at all from that employer, you do not get a W-2. If you are filing a tax return for 2019 because you had other income, you do not enter a W-2 or anything else about that employer.

blueblue132
Returning Member

Thank you. I have an offer for a new job and after the background check, the employer is asking for a W2 for 2019. I was on LOA in 2019 and left the company without any earnings in 2019. I've told them I did not get a w2 but they are requiring it anyway. Is this normal or is there another official document they might accept? 

Get an IRS wage transcript to show no earnings for that tax year. 

Federal Tax transcripts can only be obtained from the IRS using this website - https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@blueblue132 wrote:

I've told them I did not get a w2 but they are requiring it anyway. Is this normal or is there another official document they might accept? 

No, that's not a normal request. Ask the new employer why they are requiring a W-2 for a year when you had no W-2 income. Ask them if they would issue a W-2 to someone who didn't work for them. Do they expect you to get a W-2 from every company that you did not work for? As for what other document they might accept, you will have to ask them. Obviously their request makes no sense. What exactly are they asking you to prove?

Are you sure you want to work for a company that's so outrageously unreasonable?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies