turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gis6362

If I share my turbo tax cd with another person will they be able to access my tax information

Is the cd just read only and none of the tax information would be shared by the new user. The other person needs previous years turbo tax cd.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatyeH

If I share my turbo tax cd with another person will they be able to access my tax information

When you complete your returns with a TurboTax CD/Download product, your returns are stored locally on your hard drive.  This means if your friend is using a separate computer they won't be able to access your returns.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KatyeH

When you complete your returns with a TurboTax CD/Download product, your returns are stored locally on your hard drive.  This means if your friend is using a separate computer they won't be able to access your returns.

Will I also have to supply the License Code?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes you will have to supply the License Code.

Please see the below for additional information:

You’ll only need to enter it and validate the first time you install on a computer. You can, however, install the software on up to five of your computers using the same license code. If you need more, you’ll need to purchase another TurboTax license.

Activating TurboTax CD/Download software

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if tho people share the same License/Activation code (say family member filing separately or friends).

I understand it may not be recommended but still to be clear:

Is there a way for person 1 to know about the person2 who usd the same code? 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

You’re free to use the same license code to install the software on up to five computers, but you'll need to purchase another license if you need more.  For more information on how to use the activation code, please see our Help Article.  

@placidnick

[edited 4/14/23 3:40 PM CDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No.  Your tax return is saved in a separate data file ending in .tax2021, .tax2022 etc.  It is only saved and stored on your computer.  If Turbo Tax program is installed on another computer it doesn't have access to any other returns done on another computer or done in the Online version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies