Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I claimed my adult child can she still file for herself

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Yes, if you qualify to claim your daughter as a dependent, she can file her own return but she must indicate on the return that someone else is claiming her.

A dependent is not required to file a tax return if there is only earned income (from working) less than $6,300 but if taxes were withheld (Box 2 W2) and a tax return is filed, the withholding will be refunded.  If you are claiming a dependent, on the dependent's tax return in Turbo Tax be sure to indicate that "someone else can claim as a dependent"  and "someone else will claim "  in the Personal Info section so the correct exemption is applied.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok my daughter filed her taxes and she made less then $ 6,000 but I support her and pay for car phone school etc can I still vain her as dependent  

Thank you 

Hi Denice,

That's the sad part, these kids think they are BIG enough to file on their on, forgetting about parent's sacrifices and money so technically, you could claim her and even her tuition expenses as well but now that she has filed, its too late.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

As mentioned by user Scorpion1, it is too late to file your return and claim your daughter as a dependent since she has filed her own return and did not indicate that she was being claimed.

However, if you do qualify to be able to claim your daughter as a dependent, then there is a way to correct the situation.  Your daughter's return will need to be amended to make the correction that she can be claimed as a dependent on another return.  After that is processed, then your return including her as a dependent can be processed.  

Since amended returns must be filed by mail, my suggestion is that you go ahead and file your return electronically without including your daughter as a dependent. Then, after you have received your refund, amend both your return and your daughters return to change the dependency situation.  Amend hers to show she can be claimed, and amend yours to claim her.  Mail both amended returns together to the IRS for processing.

This will take some time, but at least the situation will be corrected.  

Use the following TurboTax article to learn how to amend the returns:  How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

@Denice1957

Too much work but worth it if some extra bucks can come in the bank especially in these Covid-19 testing times so good luck .

kevintown

Can a dependent child that worked last summer file taxes even if I claim her as a dependent?

Also, can my child get a $1,200.00 Stimulus Check?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If the child qualifies as your dependent, you can claim her on your return and she can file a return as well.  HOWEVER, she will mark the box on her return that she "can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return." 

If she marks that box she will not be eligible for a stimulus check for her return as you will get $500 for her in your stimulus check.  

Here are tests for claiming your child under age 19 (or 24 as a student) as a dependent.  The one that usually disqualifies the child is making over $4200 for the year.  

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. (Age test- younger than 19 or 24 as a student)

2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200.

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

kevintown

Thanks.  I make over the maximum amount and do not qualify for a Stimulus Check.  Will I still get a $500.00 Stimulus Check for my child?

Dimegirl01
Returning Member

As long as she made under $6 grand or $6500 you will be able to keep the deduction. If not just amend your taxes.

Dimegirl01
Returning Member

I would have her amend her taxes so you can get the deduction which would be way more. Then maybe you 2 could split it and it would be a win win. It is not to late to amend it.

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

You can claim your adult child as a dependent if the individual lived with you the entire year, made less than $4,300 in 2020, and you provided over half their support. 

Multiple people each of which provide at least 10% of the support of an individual can complete a Form 2120 Multiple Support Agreement and decide which will claim the dependent on their tax return. 

The dependent can still file their own tax return to claim a refund of withheld tax and indicate they are the dependent of another taxpayer on their tax return,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies