Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

opgward

How can I report $600 in earned income for 2016 without a W2?

I helped out a friend with his business.  He paid me $600, which was my only earned income for 2016.  I also received $890 in tips from his customers.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You would be self-employed with $1490 in gross income.  Create a self-employment return (schedule C) and report the income as "other income not reported on 1099-MISC."  (Many self-employed people recieve some of their income on a 1099-MISC but not all, and you are required to maintain your own accurate records of income and expenses and report them on schedule C.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If he pays you $600 or more for the year he is suppose to give you a 1099Misc for it.  But I bet he doesn't.  You still have to report it.  Do you live with anyone like a parent or friend?  Are you married?  Someone else might be able to claim you as a dependent.  But you have to file your own return for your income.  If someone else claims you, be sure on your return to check the box that says you can be claimed on someone else's return.

If that is your only income you will owe 15% self employment tax (for social security and Medicare) but no income tax.

You would be self-employed with $1490 in gross income.  Create a self-employment return (schedule C) and report the income as "other income not reported on 1099-MISC."  (Many self-employed people recieve some of their income on a 1099-MISC but not all, and you are required to maintain your own accurate records of income and expenses and report them on schedule C.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies