turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

white_t

I have 2 W2's from the same employer. the second page has different or blank info in boxes 9 through 14. Also boxes 15 through 17 are blank. How do I file them together with different info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
MichaelDC

I have 2 W2's from the same employer. the second page has different or blank info in boxes 9 through 14. Also boxes 15 through 17 are blank. How do I file them together with different info?

If, as is in your case, one of your W-2s is mostly blank, just enter the other W-2 and make sure you include the info from the mostly-blank W-2. Usually, "blank" W-2s have additional Box 12 line items or entries for a second state in Boxes 15-20. Don't enter a separate W-2 if Box 1 is empty, as you won't be able to e-file.

If your W-2s are identical down to the last number and letter, you can either keep the duplicate with your tax records or securely destroy it. Don't enter them both.

Otherwise, if each W-2 has different Box 1 amounts which more or less add up to your yearly earnings at that job, enter each W-2 separately. You might get more than one W-2 if your employer switched to a different payroll provider or was taken over by another company, or if you worked at different jobs through the same agency.

CarlaJ20_

I filed my taxes before getting a paper W2, I used the W2 in ADP. I Now have the paper ones and I have 2 with two different amounts and it looks like because my job switched states in the middle of the year. What can I do with the second one since I already filed and it’s been accepted? 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

You will have to amend your return to capture all the income from the year. If you have two W-2's from the same employer and the numbers are different, but total to what you made through the year, enter both.

Otherwise, you may be able to capture the information on one W-2. In the state section, look for +Add another row under Box 15 of your W-2 entry to add the details of the second state. 

I received another w2 from the same employer but already filed one and they have different amounts in the boxes. Will I owe the IRS if I file an amended form even if it's from the same company?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

The first thing I would check is whether the second W2 you received is a "Corrected" W2. If it is a "Corrected" W2, you will have to file an amended return.

If you look at the top of the W2 and you see a box marked "Corrected" and it is checked, or if the W2 is marked "W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement"  then you will need to file an amended return.

If it is not a corrected W2, I would contact your employer and ask them for an explanation.

If the W2 is legit and you need to add it to your tax return, you will need to file an amended return.

You will need to wait until the IRS has accepted your original return before filing the amendment. If you are to receive a refund, wait until you receive it before filing the amended return. If you owed the IRS money, then wait for your payment to clear. 

For TurboTax Online, simply login to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.

You can find out more about amending a return here

@Angelasell37

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Buddy-Boy

I am in the last situation for my 2019 return -- two W2s from the same employer with different values in boxes 1 and 2 (and others).  So I need to file both W2s.  But when I enter the second W2 into Turbo Tax, it overwrites the first W2.  How do I stop this from happening?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Are the W-2s from the same employer?  

Review the latest W-2 and make sure there aren't any boxes checked indicating that the W-2 Form has been corrected.  If it has been corrected, input the information from the Corrected W-2 form.

If it is not corrected, confirm the FEIN and State ID numbers.  If they are different, you should be able to add the second W-2.

If the FEIN and state ID numbers are the same, I would recommend contacting your employer to determine which W-2 is correct.  You can only enter 1 W-2 with the same employer identification numbers otherwise you will not be able to electronically file your return.

Buddy-Boy

Thank you.

Both W2s are correct; neither is a correction. The employer switched processing systems mid year and generated two W2s with different income on each.  The correct W2 would be the sum of the two different W2s.  It's been suggested that I simply add the two W2s and enter the result manually. I'll try that.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

That should work.  Just be sure all numbers (totals) are included on the filed W2.  

Can someone explain what it means to "enter the result manually"?  I have the exact same problem ...the return was rejected due to the same employer ID numbers, but different wage amounts.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@lydthompson621

Where are you seeing this message?  It usually means that you manually key in the information rather than importing it.  

Please follow the suggestions posted above from @JotikaT2 concerning 2 W2's issued from your employer.  

@lydthompson621   Why do you have 2 W2s from the same employer?  What boxes are different on them?

If the EIN is the same and you work in more than 1 state or city, sometimes they will give you another W2 with the extra state information on it and the top part the same or not filled in. If this is the case, enter 1 W-2 but include both state and local taxes on it. It will let you type in more than one line for boxes 15-20. Don’t add the boxes together.

Same for boxes 12 and 14 if there is no room on the first W2 they can give you another W2 with the extra boxes on it. So list them all on 1 W2. For box 12 just enter it in the next row or box. It doesn’t have to match the box 12 a-d etc.

And what the post above means to enter manually.....is to enter 1 W2 and add the second W2 to the first one and enter the total for each  box.    So delete the second W2.

Thank you everyone.  I finally figured out what to do...combine the two in one.  Thanks so much.  I haven't received an electronic "accepted" notice yet, but I'm hopeful.  Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies