Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have 2 W2's from the same employer. the second page has different or blank info in boxes 9 through 14. Also boxes 15 through 17 are blank. How do I file them together with different info?

Hi @KathrynG3 

Your answer seems to be the one I'm looking for my situation.

I live in MA, but my company is in RI. For 2021, we all worked from home, and in reality, the IRS definition of "lived in one state, earned in another state", becomes murky. 😄

Anyway, I got 2 W2 forms. The one for MA had all the boxes with the data. The second W2, which is for RI, had the boxes from 1 - 12 empty. Boxes 14 - 17 only had data specific to RI, like the State Income Tax.

So, do I need to upload just 1 W2, which I believe should be the W2 for MA, and then on Turbo Tax, add another State line towards the end, and update it with the data from W2 for RI, for boxes 14 - 17.

Did I get that right?

I have 2 W2's from the same employer. the second page has different or blank info in boxes 9 through 14. Also boxes 15 through 17 are blank. How do I file them together with different info?

Yes just add the extra state on lines 14-20.  

Thanks!!

So I do need to fill out two w-2s if the number changes and number 12 box

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No.  Do not complete two separate W-2s for the same employer when there is only a box change or addition. Add a second box 12 in the one W-2 to include both box 12 entries.

Please update here if you need further assistance and one of our tax experts will help.

@Juaquinthedream

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DianeW777 I'm all set. I did 1 W2 for the resident state (as it had data for boxes 1 - 6), and then added the non-resident state's data from boxes 14 - 17 as it had data only for those boxes. I had filed the taxes last week.

Thanks for checking.

aikaikaik
Returning Member

I also got 2 W2s from the same employer, but boxes 12, 13, and 14 have different information on both. Apart from that, they're the same. Do I enter them separately or together?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

If you have more than 4 entries in Boxes 12 and/or 14, you will have two copies of the W-2 form from one employer. You can simply add another item/row in TurboTax. Do not enter them as two separate W-2 forms. See the screenshot below:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did this work for you? My employer changed payroll companies mid-year so I will have 2 W2s. Do I enter 2 w2s like having 2 jobs? Both payroll companies are POE so they show up as my employer. 

If you get 2 separate W-2 forms  then you must enter them separately ... do not marry them on one entry screen.

Lenkoz

I received 2 each W-2 from the same employer (EIN). The only reason is box 12 was full on the 1st paper W-2. They created a 2nd W-2 with another box 12 entry. Since the software allowed me to add all 5 box 12 entries I did so and did not create a 2nd electronic W-2 form. All boxes are entered and correct for the combined W-2. Can anyone confirm this is correct way to report mutiple W-2 forms from the same EIN soley for too many box 12 items for one paper form.

Thank you!

That's right.  

If the EIN number in box b is the same and you work in more than 1 state or city, sometimes they will give you another W2 with the extra state information on it and the top part the same or not filled in.  If this is the case, list one W-2 but include both state or local  taxes on it.  It will let you type in more than one line for boxes 15-20.  Don't add the boxes together.  

Same for boxes 12 & 14 if there is no room on the first W2 they can give you another W2 with the extra boxes on it.  So list them all on 1 W2.  For box 12 just enter it in the next row or box.  It doesn't have to match the box 12a-d etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies