turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwittern

I would like to pay unpaid taxes from a previous year, is that possible to do while filing this years taxes or will that have to be separate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I would like to pay unpaid taxes from a previous year, is that possible to do while filing this years taxes or will that have to be separate?

If you owe the IRS and/or state taxes from prior years, they will take that from your refund this year, if you are due one. And once they take what is owed, they will process and send you the rest. 

[edited to add below]

You can file a Form 8379 which is Injured Spouse Allocation. A couple can file Form 8379 along with their joint tax return if they expect their refund to be seized. 

The Internal Revenue Service has the power to seize income tax refunds when a taxpayer owes certain debts, such as unpaid taxes or overdue child support. Sometimes, a married couple's joint tax refund will be seized because of a debt for which only one spouse is responsible. When that happens, the other spouse is said to be "injured" and can file Form 8379 to get at least some of the refund.

NOTE: The Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation must be filed for each year you meet this condition and want your portion of any offset refunded. The IRS will compute the injured spouse's share of the joint refund. If you lived in a community property state during the tax year, the IRS will divide the joint refund based upon state community property law.

You can find the steps on how to file this form in the TurboTax software below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3326788 

Other Related Topics:

[edited 4/10/17 at 1:33pm]

mwittern

This is for my husband and we file jointly, so they will find his balance and apply some of our refund?

Yes, if there is a tax due, they will take it from any refund you are due this year. They keep track of all of that and will handle it. If the balance due is more than what you are supposed to receive as a refund, they will take entire refund and then contact you for the remaining balance. Is this for a debt that only your husband owed? Or a debt that the both of you are responsible for?
mwittern

yes, only my husband owed this money.

Okay, so you may want to file Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation as well. That will allow you to potentially get your part of the refund and let government take only what his part would be to apply to his debt. I will edit my answer above with more details on this form.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies