Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beckyv420

I was a web model for a short while and made $547. The company sends a 1099 if $600 was made. Am I required to file taxes even if I did not reach that criteria?

I was a webcam model for the past summer, but it wasn't my forte.. just needed some extra cash. I already have a part time job, and am I a dependent living with my parents. My parents file my taxes for me, and I was wondering if I need to include my webcam information with the tax return coming up. I made about $547 this past year, but the company only sends out a 1099 form if a model has made over $600. I am confused on how I would include this information to my taxes and what forms to use. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I was a web model for a short while and made $547. The company sends a 1099 if $600 was made. Am I required to file taxes even if I did not reach that criteria?

Yes, if you file a tax return, you have to include all your income, no matter how little it is, whether or not you get a 1099 form for it. The requirements for a company to send you a Form 1099-MISC have nothing to do with the requirements for you to file a tax return and report your income. Apparently you have other income from your part-time job, but even if the $547 was your only income for the year, you would be required to file a tax return and report the income because you are required to file if you have self-employment income of $400 or more, and this is self-employment.

You have to report it as business income. You are considered to have been in business for yourself as a model, or self-employed. (That's just two different terms for the same thing.) Just enter it in TurboTax as business income, and TurboTax will prepare the appropriate forms. There will be a Schedule C to report the income, and a Schedule SE to calculate the self-employment tax, which is in addition to the regular income tax on the income.

beckyv420

The $547 was not my only income. I have also made a fair income from my job. I also do not plan to do this web modelling again, would it still be business income?
beckyv420

Actually sorry this additional question is stupid nvm lol
beckyv420

But I actually read another question similar to mine and someone gave an answer just to report it as "other income", as it is something I dont do on a regular basis
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you did it all summer, you did it on a regular basis long enough for it to be considered business income, even though you were only "in business" for a couple of months. If you only did it once - a single one-day modeling assignment - you could report it as other income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies