Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mchil71

I want to file my self employment taxes seperately from my w2 income, can I do that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I want to file my self employment taxes seperately from my w2 income, can I do that?

What I think you're asking is if you can file a physically separate tax return. If your business is a sole-proprietorship or single member LLC, then no, you can't do that. You'll report it on a  SCH C as a part of your personal tax return.

If your business is a multi-member LLC, partnership, C-Corp, S-Corp or joint venture, then you *have* to file a physically separate tax return using TurboTax Business (different from Home & Business).

The self employment taxes do show up on a separate line on your tax return.  But it is included in your refund or Tax due.  Self employment and schedule C is a disregarded entity and goes on your personal tax return.  If you have  a Net Profit on schedule C you get social security credit for it and can use it as income to contribute to a IRA.

Why do you think you want to file it separately?
Carl
Level 15

I was assuming the question was for the same reason I see this question all the time. Folks mistakenly believe that if they file their business as a separately taxable entity, it will reduce their tax liability. What most don't realize, is that it has a greater potential to actually increase that tax liability - even if the business operated at a loss.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies