Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started my 2020 return but didn't file it and i came back to finish up but its not hear and they made me download a turbotax cd and its not their either? please help

where is my 2020 started return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I started my 2020 return but didn't file it and i came back to finish up but its not hear and they made me download a turbotax cd and its not their either? please help

Online software shut down after October 29, 2021.   You  can no longer use online.   The only way to finish your return now is to download the desktop software to a full PC or Mac.   E-filing is closed, so the return has to be filed by mail.

Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2020 returns is now permanently closed.  Now it is too late to use online software or to e-file. If you have any changes/corrections at all to make to your 2020 return, you now have to complete it using desktop software, which you must download to a full PC or Mac  (not to a mobile device).  Then you need to print, sign and mail it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb...

If you already paid for your online software you can ask customer support for a download of the desktop software.

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then file and pay the amount due as shown on the Form 1040, but expect a bill later from the IRS for the penalty and interest you will owe.  Only the IRS will calculate this—TurboTax will not calculate it.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

You have to download your tax return as a .tax2020 file and open it in the Desktop program to finish.  See, Save the tax file
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

pdews2001
Returning Member

I started my 2020 return online but now I've downloaded the cd version on my computer but the file I was working on is not there?

@pdews2001 wrote:

I started my 2020 return online but now I've downloaded the cd version on my computer but the file I was working on is not there?

Download the 2020 tax data file from your online account -

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

Using the TurboTax desktop software for tax year 2020, click on the File menu in the upper left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Open Tax ReturnBrowse to the location where you downloaded the tax data file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies