Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started a return 2 weeks ago, but it disappeared

Hi, two weekends ago I started filing my 2023 return, I started it on Saturday, continued Sunday and Monday, then took a break for two weeks. Now the return that has three days of work in it is no longer in the system. *Some* of the documents I uploaded are there still, but most aren't, and the website wants me to start with "mandatory questions." 

How do I get my work back? That is, how do I get the website to bring up the info I already completed in the incomplete return? 

Also, the dropdown links in the community let me choose prompts indicating this issue is on Turbotax Premier for Windows but it's actually on the Turbotax Premium website edition (which i think is OS independent). 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account Recovery

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535-forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-password

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901486-how-many-turbotax-accounts-do-i-have

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And....Do not confuse using online TurboTax with using the CD/download.  Which software were you using?   Premier is a version of the CD/download.   "Premium" is a version of online software.  They are not the same.

If you were using the CD/download then you need to be opening up the program from your own hard drive---the tax file is on your own computer.  It is not online.   If you already started a return using the CD/download then you do not go online to "log on."   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901659-find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/find-last-year-tax-data-file-...

If you are using online, then you need to be in the right online account and use the right user ID to find the return you started.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I thought the same thing but verified that my previous decade's worth of returns are there, and I have 2FA verification emails from two weeks ago, so I'm sure I'm logging into the right account. 

I only have premium. I've only ever had premium. I selected Premier only for this post because it was the only choice on the community forum.

Premium is online software.     You need to find the right account to find the return you started.

@lacarids wrote:

I only have premium. I've only ever had premium. I selected Premier only for this post because it was the only choice on the community forum.

FYI - The Online Premium version is new starting for 2023.  Before that there was Online Premier and Online Self Employed versions which were combined into Online Premium.  Yes, it looks like they haven't updated the product drop down list when you post a question.  Someone should tell the Moderators, @xmasbaby0 

The Desktop installed program still has Premier and Home & Business versions.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies