Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved a bill from irs for $90 with no explanation. My sister just recieved one for $137. Any ideas why?

Irs bill amount to me was exact amount of my State refund. Could they be connected?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I recieved a bill from irs for $90 with no explanation. My sister just recieved one for $137. Any ideas why?

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS after you file your tax return.   Are you sure the letter does not explain what the amount due is for?   Read it more carefully.   Does the letter have a number in the upper corner?

The IRS does not pay any attention to your state refund.  Your federal return and state tax return go to completely separate entities.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If when you filed earlier you subtracted your state refund from the tax owed payment, you just found out that doesn't work.

Correct ... if you did not send the full federal balance due and instead  looked at the net shown on the screen showing the fed less state bottom line.  At no time in the FILE tab did the program tell you the state refund will pay down the fed balance due so if you sent less then you read the screen instructions incorrectly. 

It is not possible to pay a federal tax due from a state refund.  The federal and state treasuries are completely separate from each other.  You may have seen a TurboTax summary of your federal and state amounts that confused you into thinking one was “paying” the other.  It is not.  So if you had federal tax due and did not pay the full amount shown on line 37 of your federal Form 1040, that explains the bill you received.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies